Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many hoops

MGO Member

How many hoops

Starting to think maybe I need a can on the end of my rifle? How big of a pain is it to do the leg work and cost to get the go to purchase. Thanks, I'm sure this has been discussed a million times!

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

not that many, just an investment of money and time, and waiting.

pick your silencer, have it shipped to the ffl of your choice (do through silencer shop and you can make it easier and cheaper here), get fingerprinted and photographed (again, some silencershop dealers have a kiosk to make this much easier), file your application - preferably with a trust so you have some protection for family/spouse/friends you want to loan to (again, silencershop does one-shot trusts).

Or you could work with Coctailer, a user here on MGO - who coincidentally works with silencershop I think. He's a good guy to work with.
    Or get a full on trust from mgo lawyer Shyster, then still look around the forum for dealers that can get you what you want. there are a few others zya_ltr, danco411, uncoiled firearms, SteveS (also happens to be a lawyer, i think), etc. it's an unwritten rule that you gotta be a decent person to sell stuff here as part of your business. dealers who are jerks tend to get bad reviews and stop coming around.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    I was where you are about 2 years ago. I now own one for my rifles and one for my pistols. I tried talking with some people locally but they would give me one work answers that did not help me at all. I called silencershop.com I think I got lucky and the man talked with me for quite a while and asked me lost of questions so he could recommend what I would need. They did all the paperwork except I had to get my finger prints done locally, the police dept charged me 40$. The tax stamp cost me 200$ over the price of the suppressor. The worst thing for me was the 9 month wait after I purchased it and paid my money until my dealer could release it to me.

I am glad I did it, I purchased Griffin brand suppressors, first thing American made, second thing is the ones I purchased are what they call user serviceable which means they come apart to be cleaned. I shoot almost exclusive powder coated lead bullets I cast myself. I can shoot my supersonic rounds without ears on but there is still the crack downrange when the bullet breaks the sound barrier. Subsonic ammo is fun.

I hope this helped a little.

I am a Forum User
    1) Pick the suppressor that you want for your usage.
    2) Go to the closest SilencerShop Kiosk.
    3) Buy suppressor from Silencershop kiosk.
    4) Purchase OneShot Trust along with the purchase.
    5) Forget that you bought it.
    6) Get surprised between 9-12 months from your purchase date that you can actually go pick up your silencer from the dealer that you specified.

Done.

The paperwork isn't bad, the $200 stamp isn't outrageous (not much more than a nice dinner out with the family), for me it's the wait. There's no reason it should take that long. Pay your fee and forget about it for almost a year. Then one day when you've given up you get a call/email.

MGO Member
    I'm sure I'll have a butt load more of dumb questions but you guy's have come through with a lot of great answers!!!!! THANKS.

I am a Forum User
    As DrScaryguy said there are a few of us on MGO who are SOT FFL's that sell suppressors. I try to spend as much time as I can with customers explaining the process and laws. There is a lot of misinformation out there on silencers. I can't tell you how many people at the gun shows who believed they were illegal. Most are confused about trusts and the pros and cons of them. Silencershop is an awesome resource for information and making purchases. I am a SS dealer and love working with them. It try to send as many customers to them as I possible but will do direct sales if wanted. Bottom line is it is not hard and the wait times have come way down as have the prices. There is no better time to get a suppressor.

MGO Member
    I just made my first NFA purchase this March. Still waiting for approval. The waiting really is the hardest part! The only other PITA for me was finding someone willing to do my fingerprints locally. Finally the State police post in Caro helped me out with that. Everything else was pretty painless. Danco was my dealer, and I had Shyster do my trust...

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hartofthethumb View Post
    I just made my first NFA purchase this March. Still waiting for approval. The waiting really is the hardest part! The only other PITA for me was finding someone willing to do my fingerprints locally. Finally the State police post in Caro helped me out with that. Everything else was pretty painless. Danco was my dealer, and I had Shyster do my trust...

Yep. the wait for your first can is the hardest. After you get one you will not even worry about any other nfa items you get until your ffl calls you.

I am a Forum User
    I'll share my experience with you since I just bought my first can last week:

I visited a FFL here in NC that sold them. He has a SilencerShop Kiosk but I didn't use it.

I took my AR pistol to him and we played with a few cans, deciding on weight, balance and potentially using it on other firearms.

I selected the Yankee Hill Turbo; it was $400 for the can and $200 for the stamp. Paid $600 cash.

He filled out the paperwork, I rolled my fingerprints on his digital scanner, he took my passport style photos and then I signed the computer generated forms.

Then I left.

I spent more time deciding on a can than the actual paperwork part.

My paperwork is be submitted as a Paper Form 4, Individual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast