Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Border state long gun purchase

I live in Ironwood Michigan right on the Wisconsin border.
    Can I purchase a long gun from a Wisconsin resident without going thru a FFL.

I am a Forum User
    As far as I know yes. A pistol would need to go through a FFL if im not mistaken. Let the more experienced legal people tell you for sure soon.

No!

If you need a longer explanation, there is a sticky in the top of the "Legal Beagle" area.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Do you reside in the state of Michigan or the state of Wisconsin? What does your driver's license say? Who do you file your state taxes to? Should answer your question.

You cannot purchase any firearm in a private transaction from a resident that resides in another state. They would need to ship/bring it to an FFL holder that is registered in the state of Michigan. If the seller is an FFL holder and the purchase is for a long gun, then you could purchase it, even if you don't reside in that state.

I am a Forum User
    I live in Michigan and want to purchase a long gun from a Wisconsin resident.
    Can a Wisconsin FFL do the transfer?

Called a Wisconsin FFL he stated he could transfer a long gun to a Michigan resident but not a hand gun, which would have to be shipped to a Michigan FFL to transfer.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by 136; 10-16-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 136 View Post
    I live in Michigan and want to purchase a long gun from a Wisconsin resident.
    Can a Wisconsin FFL do the transfer?
    Yes, with an interstate long arm transfer, any FFL can do it as long as it is not restricted in either State, it is not restricted in Michigan, nor by the Feds.
    MCL 3-111 MCL 3-112

Quote Originally Posted by 136 View Post
    Called a Wisconsin FFL he stated he could transfer a long gun to a Michigan resident but not a hand gun, which would have to be shipped to a Michigan FFL to transfer.
    Thanks.
    Yup, that is the Federal laws on the subject.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for setting me straight. Good to know.