Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Semi auto shotgun suggestions

Good evening,

I am looking into picking up a semiauto shotgun for waterfowl. Currently I use a 870 supermag express. I have checked out a few and am up in the air on which to get. I have done some research on most of the models and am pretty torn between all of them. I am looking for advice from any of you that have had experience with them. These are the following models I am looking into:

Remington Versamax
    Benelli Super Black Eagle 3
    Browning A-5 (new model)
    Beretta A400

The main goal is for something that will last a very long time (round could count/and rugged) and be serviceable with parts throughout it's lifespan. I am also looking for something that will really hold up to the elements and not have to fight it tooth and nail to keep from rusting. It is going to be a 12ga and have the ability if 3.5"s.

Thank you!

I am a Forum User
    Benelli, Beretta, Remington and a few Winchester’s all make quality semi automatic shotguns for waterfowl hunting. Even the new Stoeger is decent. Get the one that offers the best line of sight for you paired with the best price you can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benelli. Had the original SBE and am now hunting with the SBE ll.
    It has been 100% reliable, light to carry and the recoil management with 3 1/2 shells is amazing. Worth every penny. Now that the SBE lll is out you can find the ll on sale about 400 cheaper, dont pass it up as an option.
    I have the camo one, great for bad weather. Shake the water out, let it dry, oil it up and go. No troubles yet.

MGO Board of Directors

I have a Benelli SBE II, love it. Works every time and will handle the 3.5" shells with great recoil management.
    For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
    MGO Life Member, NRA Life Member, MOC Member.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    Benelli. Had the original SBE and am now hunting with the SBE ll.
    It has been 100% reliable, light to carry and the recoil management with 3 1/2 shells is amazing. Worth every penny. Now that the SBE lll is out you can find the ll on sale about 400 cheaper, dont pass it up as an option.
    I have the camo one, great for bad weather. Shake the water out, let it dry, oil it up and go. No troubles yet.

I have the original SBE,and probably put about 10,000 to 15,000 rounds a year through it,shooting clays.

I originally bought it for water fowling, because it's recoil operated,so no O rings to worry about,and its rotating bolt is quick and dependable.It has functioned flawlessly in all kinds of weather.It's so well balanced, that I use it as my favorite clays gun, now that I'm mostly out of water fowling entirely.

Only problem I ever had was putting 3 1/2 inch magnum Goose loads in it,which blew the bolt back so hard that it broke the firing pin.So, if you're going to run really hot loads through it,you might consider a heavier duty recoil spring.Similarly, if you shoot really light loads,such as 1 oz. reloads,with light powder, you might want to go to a lighter recoil spring to ensure that the gun cycles dependably.

That said,the SBE is my favorite shotgun,and will be yours.

I am a Forum User
    Comes down to your budget - Benelli inertia system is bulletproof but the A400 is excellent. I own SBE1 and A400 Xcel, both great. Shooting buddies have the Versamax and love it too. I love Benellis but gas gun will shoot a bit softer with 3.5s tho.

MGO Member
    another SBE II fan here. i have about 750 rounds down the pipe in two years between sporting clays and several hunts. if you stick with the 3 B's (browning, benelli, beretta) you will have a shotgun that you can pass down to your grand kids.
    Last edited by MJssr; 10-18-2018 at 06:57 PM.

MGO Member Forum User
    Don't buy a Remington. Their newer stuff is junk (a pre-2007 1100 or 11-87 would be a great shotgun, though). I have a buddy who got a VersaMax and the magazine spring broke less than 100 rounds in, and he's had other countless issues with it. For new shotguns I just follow the rule of the three B's: Benelli, Beretta, and Browning. Winchester also makes very good semi-autos.

I have an A400 and Super Black Eagle 3. For hunting shotguns they're 1a and 1b. Both just exude quality. If I could only have one it'd be the A400. I've shot one of the new A5s, too, and that was a really nice shotgun. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those guns, really. Go to the store and shoulder them and pick the one that feels the best. They're all going to have exceptional build quality and be extremely reliable, so it really just comes down to what fits you the best.

I am a Forum User
    I have had multiple generations SBE, M2, Beretta 390, 391, xtrema... plus some 3 1/2" pumps. I prefer the Beretta gas system for an auto. A gun with the shim system is the way to go. See what fits you. If you have the cash, don't look past Beretta and Benelli. I sold all my 3 1/2" shotguns. I shot an 870 SPS 3" with high speed steel hand loads. Out patterns and kills better than any 3 1/2" shooting factory loads I have ever tested. That and improving calling, decoys, and setups resulted in shooting them so close most of the time it didn't matter. Plus I started with an 870 when I was a 12. I think I grew to fit one to the point it was another appendage. Nothing else ever really felt as right. My Beretta O/U's are extremely close.

MGO Member
    I have a franchi affinity 20 ga.that has run flawless.My older model winchester SX2 has been a great shotgun also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast