Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

new Ruger SP101 9mm Revolver

Can somebody tell me about new Ruger SP101 9mm Revolver????

I am a Forum User
    I'm not a wheel gun guy,but wouldn't an SP101 be more versatile if it were in .357/.38spcl?
    ...You can always shoot with .38 specials,which are close to a 9MM,and then have the option of having a hotter load with the .357.

I am a Forum User
    "Tuxedo gun"! Lol

I don't really see the point and I'm a fan of 9mm revolvers. I have an LCR9, will jump on the LCRx9 when it comes out, but The Sp101 in 9mm seems like extra weight for little to no gain over a polymer frame.

GP100, 4in barrel in 9mm, sign me up!

Great video, thanks!

I am a Forum User
    The whole point of the SP101 is a super strong small revolver to shoot the hottest .357 for backpacking self defense.

MGO Member
    No thank's, too many problems................. bullet jump, extraction problems. The S&W 940 cured me of 9mm wheel guns.

You gotta get 357, then you can shoot 38 special cheap, carry 38+ which is nice, or shoot cowboy loads for fun, etc.

Like the earlier poster said, consider the lcr in 9mm, but even then, you might still get 357.

Unless you are just a ruger wheel guy and have a half dozen, then in tha case, sure, buy it, buy both, and a 44 mag, and a 454 as well or 500 sw .

MGO Member
    I'm not one to poo-poo on a 9mm revolver. But I don't know that I would personally pick that particular one.

I had a 3" .357 SP101. It was pretty good for what it was. Full-powered .357 was comfortable to shoot, where the weight and rubber grips helped keep the recoil quite manageable. It was more comfortable to shoot with 158 gr. .357 than an airweight J-frame with .38+P, for example.

The problem was that it was too much of an "in between" gun. It was too big and heavy to use as a pocket gun. Same with an ankle holster. Go only slightly larger and you get a 6-shot revolver in about the same weight and size. Also, while the single-action trigger was reasonably crisp and the double action was pretty smooth for a production gun, both had Ruger's typical lawyer-proof pull weight. I'm sure I could have installed some other springs or taken it to a smith for a trigger job, but never did.

I eventually sold it when I realized it was essentially the same size as a Glock 23, but with barely more than 1/3 the capacity, more blast and recoil, and slower reloads.

On the positive side, the weight of the SP101 should help with the bullet creep issue in 9mm. That's more of a problem the lighter the gun gets. Also, reloads with moon clips are faster than traditional revolver speed loaders, speed strips, or loose rounds. Less blast and recoil than the .357 version, but lower terminal ballistics to go along with it.

Ultimately it's up to you. If you want one, I'd recommend trying one out first, even if it's in .357/.38 spl.

MGO Member
    i like my sp101 in 38/357 internal polish and spring job with houge boot grip had a snubby ruger speed six in 9mm never fired it sold it this month

I would rather have the LCR in 9 mm for a pocket revolver. I wish S&W made a 642 in 9mm.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
    I would rather have the LCR in 9 mm for a pocket revolver. I wish S&W made a 642 in 9mm.
    Except when we have a bear in the area,or the coyotes are acting up,my EDC is a 642.
    ...Drops in any pocket,and you hardly notice it's there.

But in cold weather,it's either a Kimber CDP II,or one of my Glocks,both in .45 acp.

In Florida,it's one of the above,plus my S&W "Governator",with PDX loads, for gators and snakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast