Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Upgrading 'Stripper Clip' SKS rifle to 'AK47' magazine cambering ?

I recently purchased a Chinese made SKS with a 'Combat Exchange' brand replacement stock. It was probably made in the late 60's or early 70's, and it seems like a pretty formidable rifle to me.

I've heard that the initial 'retrofit' hardware made to replace the 10 rd., 'stripper clip' loaded fixed magazines these rifles originally had with an AK 47 magazine accommodating magazine port were unreliable; didn't always accept the magazines well, etc.

- Have there been any improvements in these magazine 'upgrade' kits that might make me want to go ahead and install one; or am I better off just keeping my 10 rd., 'stripper clip' loaded original fixed magazine intact?

Thanks for any input; these rifles are totally new to me.

- Greg

I am a Forum User
    you can run Tapco mags if you remove the stock box mag. Go to SKSboards.com forum and do some looking around there. They are the experts

I am a Forum User
    I have used several different aftermarket mags in mine, tapco 20rd mags work the best in my rifle, others had an array of issues.

The bolt hold open will not work with any of the mags I have tried, it’s not a big deal to me but drives some people nuts, there are several creative videos online on how to “fix” this issue.

I am a Forum User
    'dw', 'jjs' - thank you both! I appreciate it.

I think you are thinking of sks-m paratrooper or sks d.

Te tapco are slow to reload. You can reload a stripper clip much faster if you are good than you can relaod a tapco.

That being said if it is just a range fun toy, and you want to do some mag dumps its easy to take of the hinged floor plate.

i have metal mags from the early 90s made in detroit. dc enginering same duck bill as tapco, but all metal mags

I have had a sks since about 1992, never even used the dc engeering mag, my dad bought them way back when they were sorta cheap a gun shows and potentially ban worthy.

The sks does have a nice 5 rd hinged floor plate mag you can use for hunting, I found that useful in the 90s using my wood stock norinco as a brush gun for white tail.

If I were you I would get tech sights peep sights, maybe a trigger job, and then thats it. https://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/

and fiber optic front sight

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...een-lite-pipes
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 11-01-2018 at 05:29 PM.