Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Mini 30. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Took the Mini 30 out to the range to sight it in for deer. Couldn't move the bolt, it was stuck solid. Tried everything, I thought I was just being an idiot. Finally looked it up, and found out it's a thing? Evidently this can happen if it sets in a safe too long and under some other circumstances. The fix is to hit it on the butt with a rubber mallet. Being at the range and not having a mallet handy, I slammed it down butt first on the soft case. Fixed it, and several shots proved it was still sighted and functions just fine.

So, what's the deal? Is there a way to fix this? Anyone else experience it?

I am a Forum User
    The Ruger Mini 30 design has a lot of metal to metal contact surface area at rest. The lighter fractions of your lubricating/corrosion prevention oil probably volatilized into your safe desiccant, leaving behind a sticky sludge which acted as a weak adhesive.

The synthetic PAG (most compressor oils) and PAO (most motor oils) base oils are narrow cuts which do not have volatile fractions.

You should play with your toys more often! Shame on you
    Active airport shooter

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
    So, what's the deal? Is there a way to fix this?
    Keep a rubber mallet in your ammo can?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    The Ruger Mini 30 design has a lot of metal to metal contact surface area at rest. The lighter fractions of your lubricating/corrosion prevention oil probably volatilized into your safe desiccant, leaving behind a sticky sludge which acted as a weak adhesive.

The synthetic PAG (most compressor oils) and PAO (most motor oils) base oils are narrow cuts which do not have volatile fractions.
    Interesting. Thank you.

Maybe some grease at the contact points.
    [QUOTE]["Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin/QUOTE]

So was it rusted or oxidized ?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiChallenger View Post
    Interesting. Thank you.
    It's unlikely that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    So was it rusted or oxidized ?
    Did some more reading. Sounds like it could be the gas block, possibly a bit of rust, one guy suggested the lacquer from steel cased ammo. The person i bought it from did shoot steel, so it's possible. I'll take it apart and check. I was planning to give it a good cleaning anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
    It's unlikely that is the problem.

Did some more reading. Sounds like it could be the gas block, possibly a bit of rust, one guy suggested the lacquer from steel cased ammo. The person i bought it from did shoot steel, so it's possible. I'll take it apart and check. I was planning to give it a good cleaning anyway.
    I can't believe lacquer would make it down to the gas block, probably shot some corrosive ammo, and didn't flush with water.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    The cheap steel cased ammo does this, lacquer residue basically burns/melts off and gums everything up.
    Minis are extremely reliable with decent ammo.
    Tolerances on SKS and AK rifles so loose it doesn't happen.
    But corrosive primers can be the trouble too.

Give the chamber a thorough scrubbing [Not so easy on this design but you can hold a bronze brush in needle nose vice grip jaws at 90 deg.]

Check where the op rod engages the gas block underneath, large surface area to stick together. You can store with bolt open and help your cause.

Love my mini 30 !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast