Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I’ve fallen in love with my Toklat as a deep woods gun. Monster power in a not so monster size (smith L frame sized). Still very manageable to carry on the belt or in a shoulder holster, and makes even full house .454 fairly easy to shoot with its big squishy backstrap.

Versatile guy too. I have loads as light as 200gr at 600fps for zapping little critters, to .44 mag equivalent (240gr at 1400 fps), all the way up to Double Tap’s monster 400gr 1400fps grizzly pills. The thing has some bite.

I did put a Wilson Combat spring kit in mine though. The factory DA trigger was a bear (heh...) to pull quickly from a draw. The big grip and my stubby fingers made the factory weight (10-12lbs) just too much to confidently fire quickly. The reduced weight kit brought it down to around 8lbs for DA....much much better.

Although it’s an unusual size for a SRH, it fits in many standard Redhawk holsters. I have a belt holster made by triple K for the standard Redhawk, but sold through Ruger’s site as a Toklat holster. Works fine. My shoulder rig is the Bianchi with the leaf spring closure. Again, just fine.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 10-25-2018 at 06:36 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    that's awesome!!!!!! need to find the pics!!
    just click on the link

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Jwade78 View Post
    i planned on carrging .45 +p when i go up north, will that be enough?

No, I don't think it would be sufficient. You probably should carry two - one on each hip. Plus some extra mags, just in case you miss or the bear is on PCP.

That's what I'd do.

Did you take that Hunter's Safety class yet?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Member
    Shoemaker was lucky. Bigger is always better. When I went to Alaska I carried a 44 mag. For black bear either a 10mm or 357 mag.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Yes.

While it is always good to be prepared, the likelihood you will run into a bear is very slim.

I grew up in northern Baraga County in the UP and spent a good deal of time in the woods, but as you can imagine, even in town isn't far from the woods.

I've seen 2 bear in my life there. They're ghosts.

Unless you're in an area close to a landfill or other area where they've become accustom to easy access to human food or, worse, someone feeding them, you will likely never see one. They know you're around long before the opposite is true and do all they can to avoid a meeting.

But yes, I'd say 45 +p will definitely suffice as a woods carry for Michigan black bear protection. But he won't need it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    No, I don't think it would be sufficient. You probably should carry two - one on each hip. Plus some extra mags, just in case you miss or the bear is on PCP.

That's what I'd do.

Did you take that Hunter's Safety class yet?
    i have not....
    but am still trying to fit it in

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MGO Board of Directors

I have a cabin south of Cadillac. I have been in this area for close to 40 years and have never seen a bear. I do have pictures from my trail cam of them on my drive next to my cabin. I friends wife a few miles down the road had one in her back yard bird feeder, She went out yelling and swinging her broom, it ran off into the woods. Neighbor had one get into his bees a few years back, went over the boards with the nails sticking up, and paid little attention to the .38 rounds he fired off. But when he started yelling it took off.
    For the most part bears want nothing to do with people, do not feed them or leave things out to make them feel its theirs so they have no reason to bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by matt11 View Post
    I have a cabin south of Cadillac. I have been in this area for close to 40 years and have never seen a bear. I do have pictures from my trail cam of them on my drive next to my cabin. I friends wife a few miles down the road had one in her back yard bird feeder, She went out yelling and swinging her broom, it ran off into the woods. Neighbor had one get into his bees a few years back, went over the boards with the nails sticking up, and paid little attention to the .38 rounds he fired off. But when he started yelling it took off.
    For the most part bears want nothing to do with people, do not feed them or leave things out to make them feel its theirs so they have no reason to bother you.

Very true.
    My brother has 40 acres near Mio and sees bear sign almost every year around his house. His wife actually saw a bear one morning in the yard, but their Pitt/boxer mix and little Fiest yapping in the front window scared it off before she could get her phone out to take a photo. He keeps a gun by the door, but it is more to keep the 'yotes and riff raff away then a fear of bear.
    He sent me this picture earlier this week that he took a few feet from his bow blind out in the back, it's what got me thinking about the post topic.

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator SteveS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta Demoni View Post
    I grew up in northern Baraga County in the UP and spent a good deal of time in the woods, but as you can imagine, even in town isn't far from the woods.

I've seen 2 bear in my life there. They're ghosts.

Unless you're in an area close to a landfill or other area where they've become accustom to easy access to human food or, worse, someone feeding them, you will likely never see one. They know you're around long before the opposite is true and do all they can to avoid a meeting.
    Northern Baraga County? Skanee? I grew up in Houghton County. I remember going to a dump outside of Calumet to watch bears. Outside of that, the only other bear I have seen was in Canada. I agree that bears will tend to avoid people and they are pretty far down the list of things to be wary of.
    Opinions and comments made by me on this forum should not be considered legal advice.

I am a Forum User
    Bears at dumps many times up around Manistique. Never one in the wild walking around. Like to carry my .357 in the woods. Saw a wolf once, I think we were both surprised.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast