Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hearing-Safe Home Defense Firearm

Having had fired a shotgun a few times in excitement without putting my ear-pro in as well as an ND when I was new to guns I've experienced that shooting off a load without protection is pretty painful. In the unlikely situation I need to fire a weapon in defense of myself or other occupants of my home the last thing I need atop the psychological and legal complications is hearing damage/loss, so I'm thinking about a platform that if I put a can on it would be hearing safe. The two calibers that come to mind immediately would be .45 acp and .300 Blackout.

Due to personal preferences I'd like to avoid AR platforms, as well as anything with a floppy dead-fish trigger like a Glock, I'd like it to be shorter than if I stuck a can on my PTR91, but having a higher capacity and/or a stock or arm brace would be a big plus. I saw another HK clone in .300 BO but its 3k so that's not really a viable choice. I'm thinking mostly of either a Vector in .45 acp or a Tavor in .300 BO. I've always wanted a Tavor so that'd be a plus but watching one of MAC's videos I saw that the pop from the ejection port is in the low 130s of Dbs with subsonic ammo and the high 130s with super sonic ammo. I was of course thinking of the sub stuff but it only has the ft/lbs of a .45 acp.

I'm not that huge on the Vector but in the pistol configuration it'd be compact, takes Glock mags, and can take an arm brace. The ammo would be a lot cheaper but the can would be a lot more, plus I'm a little squirrely on what counts as a "hand stop" and what is a "vertical foregrip" since holding the front of the magwell on a Vector is a good way to accidentally drop your mag. I suppose I could also just get an FNX-45 but that wouldn't have a brace, lower capacity, and still has more expensive cans.

Is there a blind spot I'm missing here of a better option? Or is my dislike of ARs and Glocks kneecapping me that severely?

Permanent hearing loss is always overlooked in choosing a HD firearm.

I like pistols for HD in case you need an arm free to carry a baby, drag a loved one, or push back on an attacker to bring the firearm to bear.

The Silencerco Maxim is perfect for home defense.

The trigger sucks stock, but if there is a chainsaw murderer slashing at yo family, it’s not the time to be a trigger snob. LOL

Since you do not want a AR platform. I would go with a CZ EVO pistol with a brace. 9mm subsonics are more quiet than .45 ACP.

I am a Forum User
    Couple of choices, in a handgun, look at the maxim 9 Integrally silenced pistol. For a high cap I like the sig MPX, 4" barrel and a can and 147 subsonic ammo. You can also go with the MCX in 300 BLK and a can/subsonic also. A lot of people forget the backup sidearm. Often the AR is not near the door when someone knocks. Many people keep them in the bedroom/upper floor. Having a silenced handgun near the door is also nice.

Reliable well made guns you can count on.

Like mentioned above, subsonic 9mm is quieter than subsonic .45. Statistics show that people tend to shoot multiple times to end an attack, so 9mm gives you some capacity back too. Win win.

CZ Scorpion is a nice platform. It's a bit loud as a suppressor host(I own a SBR'd one with a chopped down barrel), but that's part of the nature of the beast in straight blowback carbines too.

If your into carbines, then look at B&T, CZ, MP5 clones, and even the Extar EP9 on the budget side of things.

If your into pistols, then options are endless...

You say this is for home defense, so I'd suggest choosing rifle vs pistol based on your skill level. Perhaps go with what you or the majority of your loved ones in the house are most proficient with(no point in reprogramming the whole house because you want something unique). Keep in mind some of the boutique firearms have boutique controls to boot. Wouldn't want to trip up on those. If you have a particular platform ingrained already, then perhaps trying to reprogram yourself isn't worth it. Just some considerations...
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 10-26-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Delete...posted in wrong thread.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 10-26-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Banned
    I have 9mm and 300bo in the AR platform.

Either one is quiet. Think powerful pellet gun quiet.

Goodluck. You have lots of expensive options haha

MGO Member
    Tavor 9mm with Ratworx suppressor and 147gr subs is my choice.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't skydive.

I didn't know 147gr 9mm was quieter than .45 acp. That really opens up a lot more options.

Not to hijack this thread....

If I understand correctly, this thread is about a home defense gun (pistol) that is quiet enough to use without hearing protection, and you appear to be advocating a pistol with an attached suppressor.

If one were to go this route, what are the training dimensions added by this new variable? We've now added several inches to the overall length of the pistol, so where will it be stored? I doubt a drawer in the nightstand will be wide enough, or will make it a bit more awkward to draw the pistol. What about weight distribution? What about sights, or adding a flashlight/laser? And so on.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, here. I had not considered a suppressor for this type of event, and I think it's a great idea. But I would like to know what additional training would be required to prepare for a home invasion and successfully use a suppressor. We can start a new thread, if that would be better.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast