Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Not to hijack this thread....

If I understand correctly, this thread is about a home defense gun (pistol) that is quiet enough to use without hearing protection, and you appear to be advocating a pistol with an attached suppressor.

If one were to go this route, what are the training dimensions added by this new variable? We've now added several inches to the overall length of the pistol, so where will it be stored? I doubt a drawer in the nightstand will be wide enough, or will make it a bit more awkward to draw the pistol. What about weight distribution? What about sights, or adding a flashlight/laser? And so on.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, here. I had not considered a suppressor for this type of event, and I think it's a great idea. But I would like to know what additional training would be required to prepare for a home invasion and successfully use a suppressor. We can start a new thread, if that would be better.
    I was thinking more a rifle or a PCC, aside from the Maxim 9 I think putting a silencer on a pistol defeats the main advantage of a handgun in a self-defense scenario [maneuverability and it being harder for an attacker to grab and get leverage over you with]. This would be my "immediate action" option. If it were a situation where I had a few seconds of preparation I'd fall back to my 10mm Witness loaded with 200gr hollow points and keep a pair of electronic headphones nearby to throw on [like if it were a "fall back to a defensible position" situation opposed to a "loud noise, dog barking/yelping, things are real" situation].

Quote Originally Posted by Coctailer View Post
    Permanent hearing loss is always overlooked in choosing a HD firearm.

I like pistols for HD in case you need an arm free to carry a baby, drag a loved one, or push back on an attacker to bring the firearm to bear.

The Silencerco Maxim is perfect for home defense.

The trigger sucks stock, but if there is a chainsaw murderer slashing at yo family, it’s not the time to be a trigger snob. LOL
    I'm glad you said that, since I saw a John Lovell[sp] video where he was saying you shouldn't use a suppressor because you want your gun to be as loud and scary as possible, and that hearing damage doesn't matter since his hearing is damaged and he doesn't care. And of course if you disagree with him you're purporting to be some sort of Tier 1 operator. That sounded like the stupidest thing I'd ever heard, like dropping a flashbomb at your own feet and betting you'd be less disoriented after, so I'm very glad for your reaction.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    In my own personal opinion, I think this is a very important and often overlooked topic in a whole lot of scenarios including HD. Now by no means would I advocate shooting without hearing protection.... BUT personally I train on purpose with no hearing protection usually on a cold start first mag of the session as to bring in the element of the noise factor in a defense scenario and I don't hold back either I send 185gr legend pro .45ACP hollow points out of a xds 3.3 for my cold start and switch to hearing protection and target ammo after. Its a whole different ball game without hearing protection and I find it a valuable tool to hone marksmanship skills as it brings an involuntary disorientation, heightened heart rate, and a adrenaline jump whether you like it or not into the mix. Eventually you start to get used to it but it takes a whole lot of time. Ive had no ill permanent hearing effects yet that I'm aware of but maybe its because I already have tinnitus humming in my ear as it is even as a kid before I even knew what a gun does. Just my two cents take it for what you will. Consider it a necessary discomfort? One that you wont be worried about with freddy krueger scratching at the door? On the other hand a Maxim with some subsonic ammo would be one sweet solution.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Not to hijack this thread....

If I understand correctly, this thread is about a home defense gun (pistol) that is quiet enough to use without hearing protection, and you appear to be advocating a pistol with an attached suppressor.

If one were to go this route, what are the training dimensions added by this new variable? We've now added several inches to the overall length of the pistol, so where will it be stored? I doubt a drawer in the nightstand will be wide enough, or will make it a bit more awkward to draw the pistol. What about weight distribution? What about sights, or adding a flashlight/laser? And so on.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, here. I had not considered a suppressor for this type of event, and I think it's a great idea. But I would like to know what additional training would be required to prepare for a home invasion and successfully use a suppressor. We can start a new thread, if that would be better.
    Maxim 9 with short suppressor is only a 9.5" long (short configuration is for subsonic ammo), not much longer than a full size 9 or 45 (glock 17 - 8", 1911 8.25"). Pistol caliber carbine is about the same size as a pistol version with a silencer, example: 9mm AR rifle with a 16" barrel, versus a AR pistol with an 8" barrel and 8" silencer.

Banned
    Electronic ear protection kept with the gun, they amplify and protect at the same time.

Banned
    You ever got up to an emergency and found your body doesn't do what you can normally do as well or as quickly?

It's disconcerting. Simple is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by I1I1I11II View Post
    You ever got up to an emergency and found your body doesn't do what you can normally do as well or as quickly?

It's disconcerting. Simple is the only answer.
    Yeah, I'm mostly planning on the Tavor or whatever I choose to be the thing I run to in a panic. Only if it were a situation where I REALLY thought I had moment to gear up would I grab the 10mm and ear phones. I see people that do the opposite and have a vest and rifle setup waiting and an immediate action pistol.

On a side note, in the MAC video I mentioned he was shooting outdoors and the supersonics were hovering a Db or two below 140 so just barely safe. Would it be louder indoors?

MGO Member
    IMHO I wouldn't worry about it. The probability of having to discharge a weapon in SD is extremely minimal. Most SD incidents are resolved with just a couple of rounds. Likely won't cause permanent damage. The priority is to end the threat. I would not want to worry about hearing protection in an emergency. I would want my hearing to not be impaired when trouble is afoot. I would not want to use lower velocity (lower energy) rounds in a SD scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddio View Post
    Electronic ear protection kept with the gun, they amplify and protect at the same time.
    This. Don't complicate things. Keep the electronic muffs with the rifle. Train putting them on then grabbing the rifle.

I am a Forum User
    Name:  easton-easton-tee-ball-bat-speed-25-12-tb17spd13-a.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  20.0 KB

Banned
    Hell yeah. Nothing like the ease of swinging a baseball bat in confined spaces.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast