Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

450BM upper 3, Hemichallenger 1

Got MY 450 upper out to shoot/sight in sunday. Didnt have much luck.

Rounds wouldnt feed from ANY magazine with ANY follower in it. It almost seemed like the bolt was moving to fast to pick up another round below the bolt. If you cycled the action manually it would feed, function and eject perfectly. Go figure. Metal 20rnd mags with the drop-in blue followers, another drop in follower quads printed off for me and metal mags with stand alone followers were tried. All worked the same. Fed and ejected when manually cycled but wouldnt scoop up another round when fired.

By the time I finally started getting sighted in at 50 yrds. my cheap UTG red dot went out. Cheap red dots dont like .450 recoil. I got it to turn back on later and will try to save it on a .22 bolt action.

Back to the drawing board I guess. Think a Bushnell trs25 will handle the 450 recoil?

I am a Forum User
    Sorry to hear that. It is not the mag. You obviously are over gassed. An adjustable gas block will fix your woes and a heavy buffer will help too. Is your gas tube a carbine or mid length? Carbine gas tubes definably need an adjustable block. I also think the Bushnell will also die at the hands of the 450 but maybe not. The 450 BM is pushes 800g's with a super quick recoil pulse due to the fast burning pistol powder. Athlon rates all their optics at 1000g's with a lifetime warranty. Same with Vortex. Leupold's are tough scopes but their warranty is iffy.

Buy a sparc and if you kill it get your money back. Kill two more cheapies and you coulda had a nice one.

I am a Forum User
    Every other 16" .450bm upper I see is carbine length gas. Even the damn bushmaster brand 20" barrel is carbine length gas. I'm questioning the "over gassed" assumption at the moment. MY bud who was with me for this outing is waiting for mags for his upper. He has 3 different buffers and 3 different springs he can try in 3 different lowers. I guess we shall see.

Manually cycling the rounds with the charging handle resulted in nicked/lightly touched primers. Was a little eyebrow raising when we picked the rounds off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Buy a sparc and if you kill it get your money back. Kill two more cheapies and you coulda had a nice one.
    The red dot I had lying around, I didnt go out and buy it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiChallenger View Post
    Fed and ejected when manually cycled but wouldnt scoop up another round when fired.
    Were you able to see if the bolt locks back on the last round?
    Meaning is it cycling back far enough to pick up a round? (essentially short stroking)

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    Were you able to see if the bolt locks back on the last round?
    Meaning is it cycling back far enough to pick up a round? (essentially short stroking)
    I honestly cant remember, my bud says we didnt.

I should add, I slapped my 300blk upper on and fired some rounds. 220grn remintgon would not fully cycle the action but 123 & 180 grn. "hunting ammo" did with zero issues. The 220grn stuff was so weak it was tumbling and bounced off the cardboard target, I think I may have some bad ammunition. I will still try a "standard" buffer spring. Maybe its actually under-gassed. Seems hard to believe, the recoil is pretty stout.

Every other 16" .450bm upper I see is carbine length gas. Even the damn bushmaster brand 20" barrel is carbine length gas. I'm questioning the "over gassed" assumption at the moment. MY bud who was with me for this outing is waiting for mags for his upper. He has 3 different buffers and 3 different springs he can try in 3 different lowers. I guess we shall see.

Manually cycling the rounds with the charging handle resulted in nicked/lightly touched primers. Was a little eyebrow raising when we picked the rounds off the ground.

I understand but dont kill another one you can use on a 22 etc and will last.

Is this the bear creek 450 ?

MGO Member
    Leupolds warranty iffy? First I ever heard that one and I've been using them for better then 50 years!

You should verify if the bolt will lock back on an empty mag or not before messing with anything. The symptoms of under and over gassed can have similar results some times. If it turns out to be over gassed then an adjustable gas block will help as well as lessen felt recoil if the carrier is bottoming out hard. If it's under verify that the gas block is centered by looking at the carbon staining around the gas port and verifying that the passage in the gas block matches up with the hole in the gas tube, gas rings, gas key, gas tube/carrier drag ect. Just change one thing at a time until you figure it out.

I am a Forum User

I have a 16" Bushmaster factory upper, it's over gassed. I'm running a Slash's XH buffer in the lower. The carbine length gas system on a 16" is fine, IF the gas port is drilled to the correct diameter. Anything over 16" should not have a carbine length gas system. The 20" Bushmaster with a carbine length gas system was a fail on Bushmaster's part. A 16" with a mid-length gas system works just fine, and since almost everyone runs Hornady ammo (if running factory ammo), the carbine length gas system on 16" and up barrels shouldn't really be considered, in my opinion. They should be mid-length, and then rifle length on some of the 20" barrels for the guys who reload/experiment. I have a 18" Tromix mid-length gas and a 20" BHW rifle length, both are used on the same lower with another Slash's XH buffer, and they run just fine with factory ammo. The 20" BHW, is almost undergassed with factory ammo, almost. Still runs, but because I reload it doesn't really matter. I could open the gas port a little or change buffers everytime, to optimize it for factory ammo.

Chances are your over gassed, but there was one BCA that came up on the 450 bushmaster forums recently that was actually undergassed. I think the owner drilled it out, before sending it back for another, and the new one had the same gas port size the first barrel originally had. So we need to figure out which it is.
    Last edited by BMT85; 10-29-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast