Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Thank you again Danco. I'm going to follow your lead with the block an buffer. Probably worth having on hand regardless.

My bud just shot his BCA 16" upper with a PSA lower and a Spikes lower. Both with cheap LPKs. His cycles functions and feeds perfectly. With both lowers if he installs a "heavy spring" in the buffer tube it wont pick up the next round and becomes a single shot. He is using ASC .450 mags.

BCA probably designs their uppers to work with cheap/stock stuff. Would make sense and probably 90% of their buyers arent gunsmiths nor probably care. KISS!

I am a Forum User
    He tried a heavy buffer with stock spring and a heavy spring now. Every time the heavy spring would cause it to not pick up the next round. The heavy buffer noticeably lessened recoil with no other issues.

I am a Forum User
    So he ran an H buffer with stock spring, and it runs fine, but an H buffer with a heavy spring it short strokes? Maybe check for the extractor leaving claw marks on the rim. If so, smooth them out a little. Also check your ejection pattern. Might as well check your extractor spring, insert, and o-ring (if you have one). In my experience, if a build goes from not running at all because it's overgassed, to running just fine with one step up in buffer weight, something else is probably wrong. I usually end up with an H2 or heavier in over gassed builds, IF the extractor and small parts for it are in check.
    Last edited by BMT85; 11-02-2018 at 01:58 PM.

I am a Forum User
    To summarize what my buddy found out with his 16" upper today;

H2 or H3 buffers worked fine with a standard spring.
    Nothing worked with a heavier spring.
    H3 buffer had noticeably less recoil.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiChallenger View Post
    To summarize what my buddy found out with his 16" upper today;

H2 or H3 buffers worked fine with a standard spring.
    Nothing worked with a heavier spring.
    H3 buffer had noticeably less recoil.
    Ah, ok. Well, looks like you should be good then.
    How was the accuracy?

I am a Forum User
    I'm taking mine to the range this afternoon. I'll let ya know what went down.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by BMT85 View Post
    Ah, ok. Well, looks like you should be good then.
    How was the accuracy?
    After sighting in, off the bench with sand bags he put 5 rounds in 2".

I am a Forum User
    I'm running this upper on a Spike's lower with the LaRue two stage trigger, with normal lower parts for the rest. Standard spring and buffer. This is the 16" BCA assembled upper with the carbine length gas system. I'm using the Bushmaster 5 round .450 magazines.

I didn't clean the upper prior to shooting. I just lubed it up. First mag, no issues except the bolt does not hold open after the last round. That happened after every mag. Into the second mag, I started having issues. It would always eject, but either short stroke and not get the next round, or not fully charge the next round. I ran my finger over the bolt and with the lube there was a considerable amount of debris. It's obvious this is giving the BCG some resistance, as a few times I had to use the forward assist to seat a round. BCA does not clean these after shipping, so I'd recommend doing that before shooting. I did not, as I wanted to give this a relatively out of the box assessment. I have a feeling after a good cleaning and lube, it should function pretty well. Other than that, it's pretty accurate. Both pictures are at 100 yards, using my range bag as a rest off of a bench. Not ideal, as it would slide a bit which is why the high shot on the first picture is a bit off. Not including the lower which I already had, I have $430 into this build, plus $80 for three magazines. Not too shabby.

20181106_153556.jpg
    20181106_153620.jpg

I am a Forum User
    Both targets put meat in the freezer.

I am a Forum User
    That accuracy is pretty good, considering the price. Like Quads said, it'll put meat in the freezer for sure. I have a feeling that after you put 50 or so rounds (maybe a bit more) through them, the groups will tighten up a bit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast