Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap 450 Bushmaster Optics

Hey Guys:
    I was caught up in the frenzy of a 450 Bushmaster upper for $230 shipped. I found a 5 round mag for it after some searching. Now, I'd like to put a scope on it. I have a 3x9 Nikon .223 scope with the BDC feature, which is not going to work very well with the 450 round. I'm looking for ideas for a scope and mount combo for a fairly cheap set-up...since I am a cheapskate.
    Regards,
    Costanza
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

I am a Forum User
    Get a beefy mount, something like the Burris PEPR which ha good reviews. I plan to run that with a Vortex Crossfire II 3x9 scope. Should be getting it all together this weekend, but still waiting on mags.

I"m assuming you bought the BCA upper that a lot of us just did?

I am a Forum User
    https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...shmaster-Scope

I put the 2-7x35 burris on my .450 RAR as recommended in the thread in the link^. Mostly because of its recoil tolerance.

I want to try a red dot on my .450 upper. A TON of people are using the bushnell trs-25 on 12ga 3"-3.5" goose guns. I want to try one but afraid as I already killed a cheap utg red dot I had lying around.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza View Post
    Hey Guys:
    I was caught up in the frenzy of a 450 Bushmaster upper for $230 shipped. I found a 5 round mag for it after some searching. Now, I'd like to put a scope on it. I have a 3x9 Nikon .223 scope with the BDC feature, which is not going to work very well with the 450 round. I'm looking for ideas for a scope and mount combo for a fairly cheap set-up...since I am a cheapskate.
    Regards,
    Costanza
    Why won't that scope work? It's a 200yd cartridge, not 600. Sight in the old fashioned way. Make it about 1.5" high and it'll be good to go on whitetail out to 200 from any hunting position. Don't overthink this.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS624 View Post
    Why won't that scope work? It's a 200yd cartridge, not 600. Sight in the old fashioned way. Make it about 1.5" high and it'll be good to go on whitetail out to 200 from any hunting position. Don't overthink this.
    If you look at the thread I posted a link to, the resident AR and .450BM AR expert posted what you need to be careful of when selecting a scope. Its the recoil impulse.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiChallenger View Post
    If you look at the thread I posted a link to, the resident AR and .450BM AR expert posted what you need to be careful of when selecting a scope. Its the recoil impulse.
    The 223 and 308 Nikon scopes are the same except for the BDC. The 450 doesn't kick that much. If it can handle 308, it can handle 450.

The 450 doesn't kick that much. If it can handle 308, it can handle 450
    There is a noticeable difference in recoil between the 308 and 450 bushmaster.
    From http://handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Both loads are popular and give average factory velocities as found on Hodgdons web site. The recoil was figured with a 6.5 lb gun weight.

450Bm
    Bullet wt - 250gr
    powder wt - H110/41gr
    vel - 2250fps

recoil impulse in (lbs/sec) - 2.22
    vel of recoiling firearm (fps)15.97
    free recoil energy in f/lbs - 25.73

308 Win
    Bullet - 180gr
    powder wt - 45gr/Varget
    Vel - 2660 fps

recoil impulse in (lbs/sec) - 2.92
    vel of recoiling firearm (fps) - 14.48
    free recoil energy in f/lbs - 21.16

As a idea of the recoil I ran a estimate of a 12ga 300gr slug at 1900 fps with a 35gr powder charge in the same 6.5 Lb gun weight.
    recoil impulse in (lbs/sec) - 3.15
    vel of recoiling firearm (fps) - 15.60
    free recoil energy in f/lbs - 24.58

There is a reason Ruger sticks a brake on their rifles, which BTW can add to scope stresses due to the reversal of its momentum.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    I'm running a Leo 3x9 VX-II, so perhaps I'll be one of the first to test Leo's warranty service that everyone frowns upon.

I am a Forum User
    Whats cheap to you ? Price wise if you can find them is a burris mtac 4.5-14x42 30mm. I run one on my 450 and its a great hunting scope

I am a Forum User
    Ran a Burris E1 with their ballistic reticle on a 450 upper for a couple of years. They worked great, and I had no issues. It has several features that make it pretty recoil resistant and a forever warranty. I've seen those on sale in 3 - 9 several times for a really attractive price. Also seen the 30 mm tub versions as well. I think it's hard to beat when some of the better sales are on. My bolt gun has a VX2. So far so good on that, but it hasn't had that many rounds through it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast