Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

DNR Lapeer Pit Shooting Area closed Monday, Nov. 5, for survey work

The Department of Natural Resources’ Lapeer Pit Shooting Area in Lapeer County – located on Roods Lake Road in the Lapeer State Game Area – will be closed Monday, Nov. 5, to allow DNR crews to complete a boundary survey of the range.

The Lapeer Pit is a popular place for hunters to sight in their firearms and practice their firearm skills; however, improvements to the range are needed.

The survey work and site evaluation are necessary steps in plans to improve the shooting range. Following completion of the survey, the DNR will work with design professionals to map out improvements to the range, which may include accessible parking and pathways, new benches and structures for range users, and sound abatement at Lapeer Pit in the summer of 2019.

These improvements are possible through funding from a Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund grant as well as a grant from the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act through the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

For more information, contact Lori Burford at 989-600-9114.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/21899b8

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post
    The Department of Natural Resources’ Lapeer Pit Shooting Area in Lapeer County – located on Roods Lake Road in the Lapeer State Game Area – will be closed Monday, Nov. 5, to allow DNR crews to complete a boundary survey of the range.

The Lapeer Pit is a popular place for hunters to sight in their firearms and practice their firearm skills; however, improvements to the range are needed.

The survey work and site evaluation are necessary steps in plans to improve the shooting range. Following completion of the survey, the DNR will work with design professionals to map out improvements to the range, which may include accessible parking and pathways, new benches and structures for range users, and sound abatement at Lapeer Pit in the summer of 2019.

These improvements are possible through funding from a Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund grant as well as a grant from the Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act through the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.

For more information, contact Lori Burford at 989-600-9114.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/21899b8
    Translation... They are going to turn this free common sense area into a paid state regulated shooting range just like the ones the users of the pit try to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Translation... They are going to turn this free common sense area into a paid state regulated shooting range just like the ones the users of the pit try to avoid.
    1.) Nearly a third of the state's shooting ranges don't charge a fee to shoot there.

2.) You can't call the Lapeer Pit a "common sense" shooting area either. I've been muzzle swept out there more times than I care to count. People like to shoot out there because there isn't a RSO to get on them when they screw up. That and you can do mag dumps all day which most ranges don't allow.

Quote Originally Posted by ih772 View Post
    2.) You can't call the Lapeer Pit a "common sense" shooting area either. I've been muzzle swept out there more times than I care to count. People like to shoot out there because there isn't a RSO to get on them when they screw up. That and you can do mag dumps all day which most ranges don't allow.
    ih772, I would like to introduce you to Leader. Start off with, all is not as written.

P.S.
    There has been a report of a "man" getting hit with a ricochet from shooting buck at steel out at the pit.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ih772 View Post
    1.) Nearly a third of the state's shooting ranges don't charge a fee to shoot there.

My advice to you would be "DON'T GO THERE!"
    Find a nice safe place that has someone smarter then you watching over your shoulder so you don't hurt yourself or others.

I am a Forum User
    I hear the gov is also gonna place hidden cameras to capture video evidence of shenanigans...heh

I am a Forum User
    There open now correct? Planning on heading down tomorrow

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo9991 View Post
    There open now correct? Planning on heading down tomorrow

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Yes, to the best of my knowledge it was a one day closing.