Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Do I need scope mounting kit, or just a torque wrench ?

Hello optic experts.

I have a nikon rimfire scope, nice steel warne rings, its my understanding I do not need to lap rings on something nice like warne, is that correct?

Should I buy something like this ? https://www.btibrands.com/product/sc...-combo-1-30mm/

mechanical https://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...ch-screwdriver

digital https://www.midwayusa.com/product/50...ch-screwdriver

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

I wouldn't pay the extra for a digital driver. but I really do want to get myself a ring lapping set. Last winter I saw a really good sale and missed it. i've been kicking myself since.
    You can trust that your rings are good enough, and they might be if you buy good ones. but lapping will help you correct any errors in design as well as your mounting technique.
    If you can afford it and want accuracy, go for it. I'll be picking up an upper receiver lapping kit too, one of these days. I've seen crazy amounts of "wobble" between the barrel extension and the receiver. that shouldn't exist, but sometimes it does you can bet it's going to mess with your POI vs natural aim. I imagine a scope could work out the same way with imperfections.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

I think I saved you $20 and shipping
    optics planet you can get that same combo 1"/30mm with a torque driver and levels. also available from walmart and amazon.
    thank me later.

I'm personally looking for some kind of google shopping code to save me even more money... I think it was that kit for $65 or so when I missed it.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    I think I saved you $20 and shipping
    optics planet you can get that same combo 1"/30mm with a torque driver and levels. also available from walmart and amazon.
    thank me later.

I'm personally looking for some kind of google shopping code to save me even more money... I think it was that kit for $65 or so when I missed it.
    thanks.

I did not shop on price yet, just posting up a couple different ones to see if they are common around here and liked. I appreciate a deal though thanks.

Do you have a torque wrench.

Will that digital one help in any way, can it take a crap on me and then its trash if display gets fussy etc ?

Everything else with a scope I have came with a scope, or I put on way back when and did it by feel and it was well enough I never messed with it.

I think I am above that hackery now. LOL.

I am a Forum User
    I have the kit in your first link. Works well.
    The higher quality rings you buy, the less you'll find you need to lap rings. If/when you do, use a cordless drill motor to spin the mandrel and take your time. The lapping compound is a pita to clean once done. Lots of youtubes tutorials.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    thanks.

I did not shop on price yet, just posting up a couple different ones to see if they are common around here and liked. I appreciate a deal though thanks.

Do you have a torque wrench.

Will that digital one help in any way, can it take a crap on me and then its trash if display gets fussy etc ?

Everything else with a scope I have came with a scope, or I put on way back when and did it by feel and it was well enough I never messed with it.

I think I am above that hackery now. LOL.
    I have a couple of torque wrenches, but for scopes you need smaller torque drivers like the one in that set (I have one of those just for optics and rails). 15-20 inch pounds is probably what you're working with most scopes. The rings are usually made of aluminum and the threads are not real strong. I've stripped out cheaper ones just by using a regular screwdriver. not cool.
    I can't say how good or bad the screens and buttons for the digital ones are, but they just seem like more parts to fail... the analog version is easy enough to use

I use my impact wrench set on low air.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    I thought about getting those kits a bunch of times. What I found is getting good rings in the first place negates much of the need in my experience. Warne rings are good. I use them most of the time now and spend a little time looking for a good deal on them when I need them. I have enough experience with them in there quick release versions on hard recoiling firearms to feel confident that I'm getting a good mount that's repeatable and problem-free.

I think the scope mounting kit is a more critical when you're working with less expensive rings or adjustable rings, so you know you're getting everything lined up right.

My cheap version of setting up less expensive rings for low recoil and less than super critical setups is to use a 1" steel bar stock to mount the rings. I make little adjustments with setting the ring snug to the bar prior to the final clamping to the rail. I square by using a small level on the center of the stock and checking scope to get that fairly Square. Final squaring I do by taking the rifle clamped in my cleaning vise set plumb and aim at a distant plum edge like the corner of a building known to be perfectly vertical.

For not critical setups with cheaper rings or something like Ruger rings I'll take a slightly less than 1 inch diameter bar with some very fine wet and dry sandpaper and work carefully keeping the bar flush against the inside faces of both rings and work around the ring lightly sanding. That'll show pretty quickly if the Rings are very far off. I've done this to even out some irregularities and then mounted the scope with some friction tape. That seems to serve my needs well. This isn't probably the ideal process for heavy recoiling Firearms or high level of precision, but it works well with basic stuff.