Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by cmr19xx View Post
    The DNR is not without blame, but existing hunters are equally to blame for the declining numbers. Everyone is too concerned about giving up their "secret" spot or technique. I'm a fairly avid bird hunter, and when I was young, all the older guys loved to take new or young hunters out in the wood with them. Now, forget it. If you're someone who wants to start hunting, you're left to fend for yourself.

Same goes for fishing.
    I would love to hunt. I have several young people who want to learn to hunt.

The only place we can hunt is State land. Local farmers and landowners won't grant permission to strangers these days. Going North to hunt State land means a night or two in a hotel, then trudging a mile or so into the woods to escape the herd of hunters who only wander 50 feet away from their vehicles. It becomes cost prohibitive, is physically at the limits of what I can accomplish these days, and you still have to deal with the idiots and fools who ruin hunting and make it unsafe.
    So, I stay home.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
    Its the same with fishing , hunting , and mushroom picking. you take someone or show them your secrets within a week its ruined. Its the internet...
    I take people bird hunting with me all the time. I go back to those same spots and there are still birds. Same goes for (insert species here - deer, turkey, fish, etc.). I wouldn't post spots on the internet for the world to see, but to avoid introducing new folks to hunting, because you'll have to take them to one of your spots is silly. Hunters get way too worked up about nothing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    I would love to hunt. I have several young people who want to learn to hunt.

The only place we can hunt is State land. Local farmers and landowners won't grant permission to strangers these days. Going North to hunt State land means a night or two in a hotel, then trudging a mile or so into the woods to escape the herd of hunters who only wander 50 feet away from their vehicles. It becomes cost prohibitive, is physically at the limits of what I can accomplish these days, and you still have to deal with the idiots and fools who ruin hunting and make it unsafe.
    So, I stay home.
    Those are valid issues. We do a lot of day trips to hunt. Up at 5 AM, hunting by 9 AM and start toward home around 4 PM). It makes for a long day, but keeps my wife off my back when I don't have to be gone for a weekend.

Physical limitations are tougher to overcome. Admittedly, we do a lot of walking. Depending on what type of hunting you want to do, there are probably some options. Some of the state managed areas are setup for people who have some mobility limitations.

As far as the idiots and fools go. They are everywhere. I'd argue there are less in the woods. I always just move on if there is someone in a spot I want to hunt.

I am a Forum User
    Bird hunting may be different they migrate. I still take new people with me to enjoy things i like. Theres nothing better than seeing them enjoy it. BUT i have too be WAY more selective. 8 out of ten will ruin a good spot for the year.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
    Bird hunting may be different they migrate. I still take new people with me to enjoy things i like. Theres nothing better than seeing them enjoy it. BUT i have too be WAY more selective. 8 out of ten will ruin a good spot for the year.
    Fair point. I have a buddy I hunt with who will take me to his spots and then say if he ever sees me there, we won't be hunting together again. I've never gone back without him. I know there are a lot of lazy people who won't put in the work to find spots, but something has to give to get new people involved.

I am a Forum User
    Completely agree with your friend. usually its them telling people or bring them when your not there. some are trustworthy but have been burned too often. When you find those you can trust its usually long term. sounds like your friend made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cmr19xx View Post
    The DNR is not without blame, but existing hunters are equally to blame for the declining numbers. Everyone is too concerned about giving up their "secret" spot or technique. I'm a fairly avid bird hunter, and when I was young, all the older guys loved to take new or young hunters out in the wood with them. Now, forget it. If you're someone who wants to start hunting, you're left to fend for yourself.

Same goes for fishing.
    Exactly this. This is the reason I can't get into hunting even though I'm really curious [that and having a job with really unpredictable hours, but I'm hoping to change that soon. Pray for me.]

MGO Member
    So you're entitled to my great hunting spot and 'shrooms?

Go buy a few hundred acres and you can have your very own.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledhead View Post
    So you're entitled to my great hunting spot and 'shrooms?

Go buy a few hundred acres and you can have your very own.
    I own 40 in wellston. People hunt my property/stands,steal my stands,steal cameras had cameras shot. Between poachers and trespassing thrives. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234