Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy DNR investigating hunter fatality in Antrim County

DNR investigating hunter fatality in Antrim County

Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers are investigating the shooting death of a hunter on the opening day of the firearm deer hunting season in Antrim County.

Justin Beutel, 38, of Sanford was pronounced dead at the scene.

At about 1 p.m. Thursday, a conservation officer and South Torch Lake EMS personnel were dispatched to a reported hunting accident near the intersection of West Elder Road and Northeast Torch Lake Drive, which is located near the village of Alden, roughly 20 miles northeast of Traverse City.

Upon arrival, Albert and EMS responders found Beutel unresponsive. First aid was administered but he did not recover.

“Preliminary investigation reveals that Mr. Beutel was deer hunting on private property and was apparently shot by another subject hunting nearby,” said Lt. James Gorno, a district law supervisor with the DNR.

The second hunter, who is not being identified, is a 45-year-old Gaylord man. Gorno said the two men were not hunting together and it is believed that they do not know each other.

The Antrim County Sheriff’s Office and Michigan State Police are assisting the DNR with the investigation and processing of evidence.

Michigan conservation officers are fully commissioned state peace officers who provide natural resources protection, ensure recreational safety and protect citizens by providing general law enforcement duties and lifesaving operations in the communities they serve.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/21bf7d8

Banned
    Deer are wearing orange these days huh...

Quote Originally Posted by I1I1I11II View Post
    Deer are wearing orange these days huh...
    I came close to shooting someone on opening day, once. A girl with brown hair, wearing brown coat and a light gray sweatshirt. She was riding on an old snowmobile on the other side of a ridge, trespassing in a private, plowed field. As she hit the windrows it gave the appearance of a deer running. My very first deer hunt, too. I was patient and waited for a solid shot but I had a bead on her when she came out from behind the stand of trees.

I didn't read anything in the story about anyone wearing orange.

Banned
    Michigan Hunter Orange Requirement
    All firearm hunters in Michigan are REQUIRED to wear an outer garment of hunter orange color that is visible from all sides, when they are hunting on ANY land during daylight hours. An example of an acceptable garment is a hat, cap, vest, jacket, rainwear, or other outer garment. Camouflage Hunter Orange is legal provided at least 50% of the surface area is solid Hunter Orange. Exceptions to the Hunter Orange requirement include waterfowl, crow, dove, and wild turkey hunters, as well as bow hunters for deer during the open archery season.

Quote Originally Posted by I1I1I11II View Post
    Michigan Hunter Orange Requirement
    All firearm hunters in Michigan are REQUIRED to wear an outer garment of hunter orange color that is visible from all sides, when they are hunting on ANY land during daylight hours. An example of an acceptable garment is a hat, cap, vest, jacket, rainwear, or other outer garment. Camouflage Hunter Orange is legal provided at least 50% of the surface area is solid Hunter Orange. Exceptions to the Hunter Orange requirement include waterfowl, crow, dove, and wild turkey hunters, as well as bow hunters for deer during the open archery season.
    People who own Are REQUIRED to be licensed and insured. Do you assume every car on the road has a properly licensed and insured driver? Because that's what the law says.

I am a Forum User
    Pretty sketchy details,but perhaps that's intentional at this point.

That location is just a little north of where I live,and I know the area well.

It's mostly all private land in that area,with a mix of farms and woods,with gently rolling hills.
    We had a light snow covering opening day,and it was bright and sunny most of the day,so visibility couldn't have been an issue.
    ...Going to be interesting to see how this story develops in the next few days.

Overall however,there aren't that many hunters up here though.

Probably one of the many reasons why hunter numbers are down. Too many hunters jammed into some areas as it is. Too many of them not really sure which end of the gun to hold onto. I used to hunt the Manistee National Forest in Wexford County. For many years it was not unusual to not see another hunter while afield. When I stopped going, at 5am the two track coming in was like I-94. When the sun came up I felt like I was sitting in a pumpkin patch. Sat behind the biggest oak tree I could find. There were bullets flying in every direction. Talk about crossfire ! And that was nearly 20 years ago. I shudder to think about going onto Public land now on opening day.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    Probably one of the many reasons why hunter numbers are down. Too many hunters jammed into some areas as it is. Too many of them not really sure which end of the gun to hold onto. I used to hunt the Manistee National Forest in Wexford County. For many years it was not unusual to not see another hunter while afield. When I stopped going, at 5am the two track coming in was like I-94. When the sun came up I felt like I was sitting in a pumpkin patch. Sat behind the biggest oak tree I could find. There were bullets flying in every direction. Talk about crossfire ! And that was nearly 20 years ago. I shudder to think about going onto Public land now on opening day.
    Not as many hunters up here as there used to be.
    The guy that got shot up here, was on private property,which makes it a little more puzzling.

A stray bullet has no target.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    A stray bullet has no target.
    At this point, anything seems possible,but that area is heavily wooded,with fields in between.
    ...Waiting "for the rest of the story" as they say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast