Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

What NOT to shoot .22 'high velocity' ammo with -?

I just bought some CCI Mini Mag high velocity .22 ammo; 40 gr., 1235 fps round nosed, copper coated.
    I own a Savage 94F, a Marlin 795, a Savage Mark II bolt action, and a nice tube fed Savage Stevens 987.
    I also own a Beretta Neos U22 pistol, and a 'budget' Heritage Rough Rider revolver.

- Any of these guns that I should NOT fire the fore-mentioned ammo in? Thanks to whoever knows better than I!
    - Greg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
    I just bought some CCI Mini Mag high velocity .22 ammo; 40 gr., 1235 fps round nosed, copper coated.
    I own a Savage 94F, a Marlin 795, a Savage Mark II bolt action, and a nice tube fed Savage Stevens 987.
    I also own a Beretta Neos U22 pistol, and a 'budget' Heritage Rough Rider revolver.

- Any of these guns that I should NOT fire the fore-mentioned ammo in? Thanks to whoever knows better than I!
    - Greg
    Fire away, you are good to go. Happy Shooting.

I am a Forum User
    You chose wisely. Blast away.

High velocity 22lr ammo is safe to use in almost all modern firearms. The only exceptions I'm aware of are those semi autos designed strictly for standard velocity ammo which are for the most part high dollar target models like the S&W M41, Hämmerli, Benelli, and Pardini pistols as examples. There are of course some older rifles and pistols of iffy quality/condition or built prior to the introduction of HS ammo still in use that one should also avoid the use of High speed ammo in. Any firearm produced in the last 50/75 years or so should give the std velocity designation with the cartridge chambering when stamped on the barrel or frame and be listed as the proper ammo in the owners manual.
    The main reason for avoiding high speed ammo in guns built for std velocity is not due so much to excessive pressure acting on the barrel/chamber but the recoil pulse causing the bolt to cycle too fast causing excessive wear and generally beating the gun apart. Some guns can be outfitted with stronger springs allowing the use of the fast ammo such as the Marvel Unit 1 conversion on my 1911. A chat with the maker of your gun should be able to tell you if this is a option.

Hyper velocity ammo (which is different from high velocity types) like the CCI Stinger, Aguila Supermax, or the Remington Viper among others should also be restricted to modern guns in good condition without "match or Benz" chambers. This is due to the extra length of the cartridge case that can jam in the chamber leade spiking pressures and not due to any extra pressure of the cartridge itself.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray