Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Can a CPL Holder use his EDC Handgun to Hunt Deer

Is it legal for a CPL holder to hunt deer in Michigan with his EDC handgun even if the handgun holds more than 9 rounds and/or the ammo case is not straight wall? (i.e. Glock 31 .357 SIG Holds 15+1)

The info in the DNR Hunting Digest is confusing.

Thanks.

Banned
    In a word, NO.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddio View Post
    In a word, NO.
    Can you steer me to where it says you can't.

I agree with you, but a co-worker swears up and down that you can if you have a CPL.

I am a Forum User
    All hunting firearm restrictions apply even to a cpl holder. Although a cpl holder is allowed to carry a pistol during any hunting season they are not allowed to take game with their firearm unless it is specifically allowed. Example, they are allowed to carry a pistol during deer bow season but cannot kill a dear with their gun. Not even to put an animal out of suffering.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by RayMich View Post
    Can you steer me to where it says you can't..
    DNR website.
    Deer hunting digest.
    Page 24.
    "A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with
    straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum
    capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined."

A CPL grants you no special privilege while hunting.
    It's up to your friend to prove it does.
    One cannot prove a negative.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMich View Post
    Is it legal for a CPL holder to hunt deer in Michigan with his EDC handgun even if the handgun holds more than 9 rounds and/or the ammo case is not straight wall? (i.e. Glock 31 .357 SIG Holds 15+1)

The info in the DNR Hunting Digest is confusing.

Thanks.
    I am assuming that you have access to the guide.

If you are hunting in the "Limited firearm" zone, there are specifics about the pistol and ammo. If you are hunting in the other zones, those restrictions are NOT listed. This is about DEER hunting. There are other regulations about other game.

SO...... There is not a yes or no answer, and the CPL affects little outside of feral swine and escaped Ear-Tagged Cervids.

The CPL DOES allow you to carry during seasons where the use of a firearm is prohibited, but you can not use it to take game.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post

If you are hunting in the "Limited firearm" zone, there are specifics about the pistol and ammo. If you are hunting in the other zones, those restrictions are NOT listed. This is about DEER hunting. There are other regulations about other game.

SO...... There is not a yes or no answer, and the CPL affects little outside of feral swine and escaped Ear-Tagged Cervids.

The CPL DOES allow you to carry during seasons where the use of a firearm is prohibited, but you can not use it to take game.
    With all due respect (I'm one of your biggest fans) Roundballer, I believe that the rules for hunting deer with pistols is irrespective of zone.
    You may be thinking of the use of rifles with straight walled pistol cartridges in the limited firearm zone (formerly known as the shotgun zone).
    See my post above for the exact text from the guide.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Yes, I have access to the Hunting Guide.

I agree that you cannot take game with your EDC unless it meets all the requirements for a hunting handgun. That is the same information I received today from a DNR supervisor.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgHunter View Post
    With all due respect (I'm one of your biggest fans) Roundballer, I believe that the rules for hunting deer with pistols is irrespective of zone.
    You may be thinking of the use of rifles with straight walled pistol cartridges in the limited firearm zone (formerly known as the shotgun zone).
    See my post above for the exact text from the guide.
    I did read your post, and the fact that there has never been a handgun mag limit in the other two zones prompted me to review the guide for changes. The "Equipment regulations" is separated between the "limited" zone and the other two. It starts on page 20 and continues to page 21 for all the rest of "All Firearm Deer Seasons".

DNR hunting_and_trapping_digest.pdf

All Firearm Deer Seasons - Limited Firearm Deer Zone (See pg. 11)
    In the Limited Firearm Deer Zone, all hunters afield from Nov. 15-30, and all deer
    hunters in this zone during other deer seasons, must abide by the following firearm
    restrictions or use a crossbow or a bow and arrow. Legal firearms are as follows:
    • A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
    • A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black
    powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
    • A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger
    and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or
    multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the
    barrel and magazine combined.

2018 Michigan Hunting Digest 21
    E Q U I P M E N T R E G U L A T I O N S
    • A firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm.
    Exceptions: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons below.
    • A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a min.
    case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
    • A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external highcompression
    power source.

All Firearm Deer Seasons - North of Limited Firearm Deer Zone (See pg. 11)
    Deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, crossbows, bows and arrows, shotguns,
    and muzzleloading firearms, including black powder handguns. It is legal to hunt
    deer north of the limited firearm deer zone with any caliber of firearm except a
    .22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun)
    . During the firearm deer seasons,
    a firearm deer hunter may carry afield a bow and arrow, crossbow and firearm.
    Exception: See Muzzleloading Deer Seasons below.
    Notice:
    There are specific regulations for the "limited" zone, yet under "North of Limited Firearm Deer Zone" the only restriction is ".22 caliber or smaller rimfire (rifle or handgun)" and still allows for handguns.

Also:
    There restrictions on case length for a rife, but not for a pistol. And none of those apply outside of the "Limited zone".

You prompted me to go look, and brought up the Ear-Tagged Cervids along with the feral swine. I didn't know about that before. Larn' sump'n t'day I did. (yesterday)

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

I did read your post, and the fact that there has never been a handgun mag limit in the other two zones prompted me to review the guide for changes. The "Equipment regulations" is separated between the "limited" zone and the other two.
    Yep, I stand corrected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast