Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

97.8% of Mass Shootings Occurred in ‘Gun-Free Zones’

97.8% of Mass Shootings Since 1950 Occurred in ‘Gun-Free Zones’

By AWR Hawkins
    Bretbart
    November 21st. 2018

Findings from the Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) show that 97.8 percent of mass shootings over a 68-year period occurred in “gun-free zones.”

The study covers 1950 through May 2018. Otherwise, it would also include the November 7, 2018, mass public attack at Borderline Bar & Grill, in which 12 were killed. The November 19, 2018, attack at Chicago Mercy Hospital, where three were killed, would not be listed because it does not meet FBI criteria for a mass shooting, but it should, nevertheless, be noted that Borderline Bar and Mercy Hospital were both state-mandated gun-free zones.

According to CPRC, 97.8 percent of mass public shootings from 1950 to May 2018 occurred in gun-free zones. These include the Virginia Tech University attack, which killed 32 (April 16, 2007); the Fort Hood attack, which killed 13 (November 5, 2009); the Aurora movie theater attack, which killed 12 (July 20, 2012); the Sandy Hook Elementary School attack, which killed 26 (December 12, 2014); the D.C. Navy Yard attack, which killed 13 (September 16, 2013); the Chattanooga military base attack, which killed 5 (July 16, 2015); the Umpqua Community College attack, which killed 9 (October 1, 2015); the San Bernardino attack, which killed 14 (December 2, 2015); the Orlando Pulse attack, which killed 49 (June 12, 2016); the Parkland high school attack, which killed 17 (February 14, 2018; and the Santa Fe High School attack, which killed 10 (May 18, 2018.

For the purposes of highlighting errors in a report by Michael Bloomberg-funded Everytown for Gun Safety, CPRC also shows figures for a condensed time frame, from January 1998 to December 2015, demonstrating that even in that shorter period, 96.2 percent of all mass public shootings occurred in gun-free zones.

No big surprise there. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    Will this be the leading headline across the country?

I am a Forum User
    There needs to be a law prohibiting murder in gun free zones!

I am a Forum User
    IT SHOULD BE PUBLISHED

I am a Forum User
    The November 19, 2018, attack at Chicago Mercy Hospital, where three were killed, would not be listed because it does not meet FBI criteria for a mass shooting,
    Now we need the FBI criteria for a mass shooting.

It differs from that of the MSM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Now we need the FBI criteria for a mass shooting.

It differs from that of the MSM.
    What Is a Mass Shooting?

In the 1980s, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) defined mass murderer as someone who “kills four or more people in a single incident (not including himself), typically in a single location” (Krouse and Richardson, 2015). However, the government has never defined mass shooting as a separate category, and there is not yet a universally accepted definition of the term. Thus, media outlets, academic researchers, and law enforcement agencies frequently use different definitions when discussing mass shootings, which can complicate our understanding of mass shooting trends and their relationship to gun policy. The table below provides examples of the variation in the criteria set by five of the most commonly referenced data sources on mass shootings in the United States.

I am a Forum User
    Yet the left continually supports this. I wonder, do they truly believe in this or are mass shootings just a good political tool for swaying voters?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by boltaction View Post
    Yet the left continually supports this. I wonder, do they truly believe in this or are mass shootings just a good political tool for swaying voters?
    Granted, mass murders with a gun will always be used as a, cynical, excuse to push every part of the anti-gun agenda. However, I don't think supporters of GFZ believe that GFZ will prevent premeditated mass murder.
    It is pretty clear that they believe GFZ will prevent (or at least reduce) heat of the moment (crimes of passion) shootings.
    I don't agree with this notion, or GFZ in general.
    But, we should address their arguments head on.

Our basic points: GFZ only discourage law abiding gun owners.
    Legally carrying peaple are among the least threatening class of people on the planet.
    We are even less likely to commit violent crimes than members of law enforcement agencies.
    Last edited by CyborgHunter; 11-25-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.