Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

black friday Ar15 pistol

Looking to swoop on a pistol kit from PSA........ anybody know how I can tell how big I can go and still keep it as a legal pistol under 26"? I dont know how to tell. https://palmettostatearmory.com/blac...stol-kits.html recommendations?

Also, I have a virgin stripped lower receiver. I can use this and finish the build to submit RI-60 right?

Thanks for the help!

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

usually a 10.5 with a pistol buffer tube will keep you just barely under 26" (you don't measure the flash hider).
    If you're nervous, a slightly shorter flash hider (e.g. 9") will keep things very clearly under 26" no matter how you measure it.
    and yes, you NEED either a virgin lower, or one that was originally a pistol. you cannot take a lower that was originally a rifle and make it into a pistol.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

the ri060 is an interesting bit, and you should look through the legal section for that answer.
    michigan law is strange in that to have a pistol means you're supposed to have it registered, but there's not a way to register a pistol you make yourself (unless you commit a crime and "lie" on the ri060) but the cops are gracious enough to ignore your crime as long as you illegally register your pistol...
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    thank you for the replies!! ugh the more I read, the more I confuse myself with all the laws!....... If I get an AR Pistol and its over 26" OAL (which I really dont mind) how do I go about owning that in michigan? By Federal law its still a pistol, but my Michigan law it isnt, but its purchased as a pistol! Do I just not register it in michigan and treat it as a non pistol by this states eyes? I really want a 10.5" AR Pistol and do not care if it ends up over 26" as long as I am legally ok when I put it together.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

if you're making a 10.5" PISTOL, i strongly suggest you keep it under 26" so you can treat it like a pistol. If it goes over 26", michigan starts treating it like a long gun and you run into all sorts of other issues with transport/carrying/etc.
    there are a few threads on this topic already over in the legal area and you'd do yourself some good to read them. I would too because it's VERY confusing in a few places and I don't want to tell you wrong stuff. look hard enough in those threads and you'll see some of our members giving me a good schooling in them too.
    It's one of those areas where you have clear black and white areas, and some gray areas that you don't want to have to be defending in court. Even though you may be 100% correct, it can cost you money and time before a prosecutor sees it your way. i'm not eager to fight off a state prosecutor (again) so my advice is to stay WELL in the black and white and leave the gray area stuff for guys with more spare cash and less to lose.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    if you're making a 10.5" PISTOL, i strongly suggest you keep it under 26" so you can treat it like a pistol. If it goes over 26", michigan starts treating it like a long gun and you run into all sorts of other issues with transport/carrying/etc.
    there are a few threads on this topic already over in the legal area and you'd do yourself some good to read them. I would too because it's VERY confusing in a few places and I don't want to tell you wrong stuff. look hard enough in those threads and you'll see some of our members giving me a good schooling in them too.
    It's one of those areas where you have clear black and white areas, and some gray areas that you don't want to have to be defending in court. Even though you may be 100% correct, it can cost you money and time before a prosecutor sees it your way. i'm not eager to fight off a state prosecutor (again) so my advice is to stay WELL in the black and white and leave the gray area stuff for guys with more spare cash and less to lose.
    Thank you very much for all the help sir! I really appreciate it! I will do some more reading, but I do unfortunately agree that stuff like this sometimes makes me totally want to just stay out of the gray area Thanks again!

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwang View Post
    thank you for the replies!! ugh the more I read, the more I confuse myself with all the laws!....... If I get an AR Pistol and its over 26" OAL (which I really dont mind) how do I go about owning that in michigan? By Federal law its still a pistol, but my Michigan law it isnt, but its purchased as a pistol! Do I just not register it in michigan and treat it as a non pistol by this states eyes? I really want a 10.5" AR Pistol and do not care if it ends up over 26" as long as I am legally ok when I put it together.
    I believe the gist of it is that over 26" you've built an SBR and you now need the stamp.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
    I believe the gist of it is that over 26" you've built an SBR and you now need the stamp.
    Dead WRONG!

IN MICHIGAN, if it has no stock and it is LESS THAN 26"OAL it is a pistol. If it has no stock and is GREATER than 26" the State TREATS it as a long gun despite the fact that it IS a pistol under federal law. In order for the State OR the fed to consider it an SBR it MUST HAVE A STOCK! PERIOD, FULL STOP, END OF TOPIC!!! There is ZERO ambiguity!

There is NO maximum OAL or maximum barrel length for a pistol in the federal law.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tlagnhoj View Post
    Dead WRONG!

IN MICHIGAN, if it has no stock and it is LESS THAN 26"OAL it is a pistol. If it has no stock and is GREATER than 26" the State TREATS it as a long gun despite the fact that it IS a pistol under federal law. In order for the State OR the fed to consider it an SBR it MUST HAVE A STOCK! PERIOD, FULL STOP, END OF TOPIC!!! There is ZERO ambiguity!

There is NO maximum OAL or maximum barrel length for a pistol in the federal law.
    Measurements..... They're important...

ref: https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...e-of-Michigan)

Quote Originally Posted by tlagnhoj View Post
    Dead WRONG!

Most of this is right, except the bolded part. A weapon made from a rifle if < 26" oal, even without a stock, is an SBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast