Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hand priming tool advice

My old original Lees have worn out and I was searching for a new one. Problem seems that none of the current hand primers seem to have any decent reviews this side of the Frankford Arsenal 60.00 - $80.00 kit (with the included shell holders that I don't need) and that includes the RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and, sadly, LEE.

Was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the sub-$50 hand primers for priming mostly small and large pistol? I don't shoot often enuff to warrant an expensive tool but then again, I just might have to buy one to avoid having to send a few back when they 'don't work as advertised.' Maybe I'm limited to looking for the 'best of the current worst!'

(Don't want the 'bench type' and Amazon reviews on current hand primers are more than disheartening )

thank you

I am a Forum User

Hand priming tool advice

http://rcbs.com/Products/Priming/Too...ming-Tool.aspx

This is the one I use. I am happy with it. I place a binder clip on the tray. Occasionally, the tray will fall out of the slot. Saves you from having to pickup primers that spill-out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will move that one up on the list of possibles.

Thank you

I am a Forum User
    The K&M hand priming tool is just out of your price range and doesn't have a primer feed, but it will not disappoint. It uses your existing Lee priming tool shell holders.

Mine is still going strong after decades of use. No die cast zinc parts to fail from age. Just clean and lubricate it occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    The K&M hand priming tool is just out of your price range and doesn't have a primer feed, but it will not disappoint. It uses your existing Lee priming tool shell holders.

Mine is still going strong after decades of use. No die cast zinc parts to fail from age. Just clean and lubricate it occasionally.
    Don't have one but I have heard nothing but good about them.

I presently use either a Hornady or RCBS tool depending on primer size. I keep one of each set up and just switch shell holders when I need to, personally I like the Hornady best of the 2.
    I owned 3-4 of the Lees starting with the old "thumb" tool and never had much luck with them as far as longevity. If things go as I hope, I will be looking at using one of these bench tools after Christmas. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bald...g-Press/BE1151
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Looks like my ancient Lee (or is it RCBS?) for which I misplaced the shellholders. It always worked and the single load aspect didn't bother me. Maybe i should start searching for the screw-in shellholders as I only have the .223 size now but only need 45 38 and 9mm.

thanks for reminding me !!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post
    Looks like my ancient Lee (or is it RCBS?) for which I misplaced the shellholders. It always worked and the single load aspect didn't bother me. Maybe i should start searching for the screw-in shellholders as I only have the .223 size now but only need 45 38 and 9mm.

thanks for reminding me !!
    The current K & M tool uses the Lee slide in shell holders, not the earlier Lee threaded shell holders. The retainer which holds the shell holders can be raised and lowered on its fine threads to modulate final stage seating force developed as the handle closes on the body.

I don't have any more room on my bench for mounted tools, or I would be all over that Grizzly seater.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    The current K & M tool uses the Lee slide in shell holders, not the earlier Lee threaded shell holders. The retainer which holds the shell holders can be raised and lowered on its fine threads to modulate final stage seating force developed as the handle closes on the body.

I don't have any more room on my bench for mounted tools, or I would be all over that Grizzly seater.
    OK

I think I see how I can shim my worn old Lee original primers where the upper radius on the piece that fits into the concave bottom of the primer 'pin' has eroded from use. I first thot to build up the upper radius on the hinged piece that pushes upward on the concave-bottomed pin, but i am thinking to just add a few thousandths into the 'concavity' with fine brass shimstock that can be fit into the cavity, or even a couple or a few coils of hard thin spring that will fit into the concave part.

If that does not hold up, and i can't find my old threaded shell holders for the old Lee 'load-one-primer-@-a-time,' I will probably search for a Black Fri sale on the Frankford Aarsenal or the K&M.

(The old Lees are like part of my hands after so many years )

Thanks very much for the help

I am a Forum User
    I have one of the old style Lee units I could let you buy. PM if interested.

Account Closed Forum User
    If you want to get a workout this is a dual-purpose unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast