Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

80% 1911 Build Kit

I saw an ad for an 80% 1911 build kit (this one was Stealtharms, but there are several others), and it got me wondering. What else is needed to complete the build? How difficult would it be to build? From the little bit of research I did, it appears one would need access to some machining tools, e.g., a mill. If one were to build their own, how might it compare to buying a 1911 off the shelf (I know, there are several levels of quality in the commercial products)?

I'm not sure I would want to build one right now, but it does sound intriguing. Maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    I saw an ad for an 80% 1911 build kit (this one was Stealtharms, but there are several others), and it got me wondering. What else is needed to complete the build? How difficult would it be to build? From the little bit of research I did, it appears one would need access to some machining tools, e.g., a mill. If one were to build their own, how might it compare to buying a 1911 off the shelf (I know, there are several levels of quality in the commercial products)?

I'm not sure I would want to build one right now, but it does sound intriguing. Maybe someday.
    I always wanted to try to build a 1911. I think my insecurities in my ability kept me from doing it.
    I'm older and wiser now. I might give it a shot one day.

It's like most thing that people make. Some guys can make one with a minimum of tools (dremel router table). Other guys can't seem to make a functional one with a mill, and others shouldn't be let near any tools.....Ever. I've done several AR15/10 lowers which are very easy with a mill, but figured I'd never be happy with how tight of a fit I'd end up with on a 1911 so I've not attempted one.

not something I'd really do unless I've been through a 1911 builders course like the ones Gunsite; Larry Vickers; Joe Chambers; etc... offer.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

I am a Forum User
    I remember a kit for a 80% aluminium 1911 frame someone sold that came with a jig, the jig had a carbide bit on the end of a screw and you were meant to slide the frame through the jig and the bit would carve out a shallow channel. You kept advancing the bit slightly and eventually it carved out the frame rails. The jig also had pilots for the holes to drill. I wish I could say the brand, but it escapes me.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    I have a couple 80% 1911 frames waiting to run through my Ghost Gunner whenever I get my new garage finished. I'm not really convinced the aluminum frame will handle more than a couple thousand rounds. Looking forward to the challenge.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Shyster, there are commercially available 1911's with aluminium frames though, right?Or are you speaking of raw aluminium frames with no heat treating or anodizing?

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade1 View Post
    Shyster, there are commercially available 1911's with aluminium frames though, right?Or are you speaking of raw aluminium frames with no heat treating or anodizing?
    Colt started making aluminum frame Lightweight Commanders in the 1960s (I have one - it's the lightest Commander you will ever find) but they were prone to cracking after a period of time. I just am skeptical of the 80% frame. I may be way off but I lack confidence in long-term reliability on these.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shyster View Post
    I have a couple 80% 1911 frames waiting to run through my Ghost Gunner whenever I get my new garage finished. I'm not really convinced the aluminum frame will handle more than a couple thousand rounds. Looking forward to the challenge.
    Guess it would depend on the alloy makeup. WC makes a ULC commander that I know will give you well over 30,000 rnds before you’d want to really I&I for cracks. Even then, probably nothing major.
    If you’re thinking it’s a cheap-o grade, then you might be correct. And for the price of the 80% setups, I’d just get a Ruger aluminum framed full pistol and call it a day.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne