Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Repairing gun stock

Hi guys. I have a Remington model 721 that over the years the swivel for the sling has pulled out. Not once but twice. I don't have the whole piece that broke off but I still have a large portion of it. What would be the best way to fix it? Also if I were to refinish the stock would that decrease the value of the gun. Thanks

IMG_1007.jpg

Clean it, wood glue it back with a clamp. See if you can get a new sling mount that is larger to hide it. Like one of the Harris bi pod sling swivel with larger mounting plate and hide it well.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-5-ar-15-black

Yes if you sand and refinish it's not factory and loses some value. I would not sweat it took bad if it's not in excellent shape, and you are not inclined to sell it.

Put the wood piece back, then put swivel over it and take another picture.

Marketplace Moderator
    That gun is a shooter. Not a collector piece. That being said, the military repairs wood stocks often. You could drill a hole in the stock and fill it with a hardwood dowel epoxyed into place. Then shape and contour it to your liking. I have seen many cracked military stocks fixed this way. Then replace the swivel. Or leave it off if you choose. Ebay has stocks for sale. Maybe you could get lucky there also. Good Shooting, MOOSE

Another possibility: mill out a slot, then install either a matching or contrasting wood. Epoxied in (Acraglass, etc.) and a tiny cross pin or two that would be virtually invisible, and the fore end is much stronger.

A geometric pattern in black walnut or Delrin would look awesome, particularly if you refinished the entire stock. The damage becomes a nice inlet, and the re-installed sling swivel is stronger than ever.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    Another possibility: mill out a slot, then install either a matching or contrasting wood. Epoxied in (Acraglass, etc.) and a tiny cross pin or two that would be virtually invisible, and the fore end is much stronger.

A geometric pattern in black walnut or Delrin would look awesome, particularly if you refinished the entire stock. The damage becomes a nice inlet, and the re-installed sling swivel is stronger than ever.
    I would do this before you buy a new stock.

If you know any wood worker, if they have a hard wood cut off like rifle guy suggests, something that complements it, have them router out a nice rectangle in the stock cut the new wood to fit, and you take car of any sanding blending etc.

I bet a lot of guys would do it for $30 or less.

If you have a friend they might do it for free if they have a suitable cutt off laying around, which every wood worker I know has thousands and thousands of cutt offs in the corner of their shop.

I am a Forum User
    I would take it to someone who works with wood and makes things if you want it to look good, if not sand glue and refinish

Mill out the section with a router -- though you could do it with a simple chisel. Cut/shape/gule a filler piece. Re-Drill hole, finish with stain/protectant (poly ureathane or something like that). It's not a big repair for a mediocore or better woodworker. It's not something you can't do your self.

process is something like this: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...-a-wooden-key/

It's not really rocket science. If you were in this area, I would offer to do it for you... but I am sure you have some woodworking friends... if not then hit up a local gun shop or even a phone call (don't take it in) to the local High School shop teacher if there still is one. You location is Mecosta, maybe a call to Bare Furniture of Big Rapids? Couple of woodworkers listed here to: https://chambermaster.blob.core.wind...h_Brochure.pdf

I am a Forum User
    Easy peasy. I would fill the hole with wood paste, sand and refinish. Drill a new hole further back for the sling stud.

None of my 721's ever came with sling swivels to begin with - whoever 'shoe-makered' the sling swivels into the wood ruined any 'collector' value it may have had anyway. (which was probably little or none to begin with.)

Fill the hole and shoot the rifle. They were one of the strongest and most accurate bolt actions ever made and probably still are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast