Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Browning Blr 308 scope. What magnification would you get?

I recently bought a new browning blr in 308 to hunt deer with in the north part of the lower peninsula. Im going to be hunting mostly between 50-200 yards. I was hoping to get a light weight fixed power scope so i'm trying to decide between powers. I'm torn between a leupold 2.5x and a 4x power.

What would you get for this caliber and situation? Why?

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance guys.

MGO Board of Directors

I'm absolutely no expert on scopes. I'm not even close to saying that I'm knowledgeable on the subject, but why not a variable scope - maybe a 4-9?

The scope that I hunt with is a 4-9 and I have used the magnification a few times (mostly used just the 4 though.)

Some scopes I see really pick up the available light. This would be important if you are hunting in the woods. My scope is 30+ years old and it is what it is, what I see is what I get.

Some just have cross hairs and a dot in the middle, others have real fine cross hairs with graduations.

Name:  450px-Reticles_vector.svg.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  13.6 KB

Mine just has a fine cross hair and a dot, which works just fine for close in work. If I had to shoot long distance though, it would be a guess and a squeeze.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I am a Forum User
    I thought a smaller, simpler scope would fit with the lines of the rifle. I know a 4x can reach out to 200 yards pretty easily so I don't think I really need any more than that. I was only thinking of going with the 2.5x for easier close shots. I'm not sure if trading upper range for lower range is a good choice though.

I am a Forum User
    These rifles are capable of MoA accuracy with the right loads. My .308 BLR has an old Redfield 2x - 7x conventional (not Widefield) variable power scope with the Dual-X reticle. I always set it at 4x when I go into the field, but did run it up to 7x once to drop a deer just short of 300 yards that was in a small herd. I tend not to go swamp hunting with the BLR; my Marlin 1895 with a receiver sight gets swamp duty.

This said, several of my hunting rifles have fixed, 4x scopes, but none have lower powered fixed scopes. I shoot with both eyes open and have not found it necessary to go below 4x to get a full field of view in the field. Keeping both eyes open massively increases your field of view, despite the absence of magnification in your off eye.

The 2x fixed power scopes are probably of value to hunters who cannot shoot with both eyes open, but they are an impediment to load development at the range. You should be able to shoot MoA at ranges out to 200 yards with a 4x scope with the right sized diamond targets, but this is a real challenge with only a 2x scope.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks 10x25mm, it looks like I should go with a 4x scope for my blr.