Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Muddy girl! Not the camo...

29 deer in the field this morning, 28 does! Lol

Probably my last hunt of the year, so I filled an antlerless tag.

What a sloppy mess! She dropped in a low muddy spot 300yds from the truck, I had to wash off the mud caked in her fur. She's drip drying from the rafters now.

Haven't finished butchering the first one yet!

Name:  20181125_112218_resized.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  97.5 KB

450BM has impressed me on both deer I have taken with it. Both were front shoulder entrance and exited near the diaphragm, shattering the front shoulder, making a gaping entrance into the chest and liquefied the lungs. This one took the top of the heart clean off, both had 2 finger exit holes. Neither ran far. Both were inside 100yds.

MGO Board of Directors

Great write up! You're just one more nudge for me to get a 450BM.

29 deer, 28 does. The buck wasn't big enough?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Depending on the location of his hunt it could well have been under the antler restriction, or just not big enough to suit.

I’d really look into a 450BM if my hunting area was different, however my shots here around home max out at ~75 yds and my up north area shots are even shorter. The two doe I’ve taken this season have both been with my Ruger M77 in 44 Mag, each has been a double lung and heart shot thru the ribs and out the other side with no meat loss in the shoulder, they might have run 50 yards combined. The limited firearms zone .44 Mag rifle serves my purpose.

I’m glad you’re seeing value from your 450!
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Great write up! You're just one more nudge for me to get a 450BM.

29 deer, 28 does. The buck wasn't big enough?
    Nope, just a little forky in front of my buddy, he was waiting for Bullwinkle. I'm not so picky.

Coulda killed any one of a dozen does this morning, I was trying to wait for him to get a buck and this one came a little too close.

BTW, doe is cut up now. Entrance hole through ribs the size of my fist, not kidding!
    Last edited by Knockoff64; 11-25-2018 at 07:22 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Depending on the location of his hunt it could well have been under the antler restriction, or just not big enough to suit.

I’d really look into a 450BM if my hunting area was different, however my shots here around home max out at ~75 yds and my up north area shots are even shorter. The two doe I’ve taken this season have both been with my Ruger M77 in 44 Mag, each has been a double lung and heart shot thru the ribs and out the other side with no meat loss in the shoulder, they might have run 50 yards combined. The limited firearms zone .44 Mag rifle serves my purpose.

I’m glad you’re seeing value from your 450!
    44 Mag sounds perfect for your conditions. Plenty of punch for whitetails. Longer shots are where 450BM ballistics come into play. If I reloaded or already had guns in 44 Mag, I'd be slinging heavy subs through the same can.

I started out with an Bushmaster AR 450BM, man that thing was heavy (then add 19oz for the suppressor, not to mention port noise). When Randy's got the first batch of Ruger Americans, I dumped it and got this one.

I have had some problems chambering the second round. I seems to want to feed both the remaining rounds in the mag together. Luckily, I haven't needed a follow up. It has happened during target shooting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Knockoff64 View Post
    44 Mag sounds perfect for your conditions. Plenty of punch for whitetails. Longer shots are where 450BM ballistics come into play. If I reloaded or already had guns in 44 Mag, I'd be slinging heavy subs through the same can.

I started out with an Bushmaster AR 450BM, man that thing was heavy (then add 19oz for the suppressor, not to mention port noise). When Randy's got the first batch of Ruger Americans, I dumped it and got this one.

I have had some problems chambering the second round. I seems to want to feed both the remaining rounds in the mag together. Luckily, I haven't needed a follow up. It has happened during target shooting as well.
    Sounds like that feeding issue might need a trip to Ruger to massage out.

MGO Board of Directors

If I reloaded or already had guns in 44 Mag, I'd be slinging heavy subs through the same can.
    I've wondered about this since I saw someone say they were gonna hunt with subsonic 300 blackout rounds. Doesn't that limit the distance and reduce knockdown power? Not enough to worry about?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

I've wondered about this since I saw someone say they were gonna hunt with subsonic 300 blackout rounds. Doesn't that limit the distance and reduce knockdown power? Not enough to worry about?
    It would certainly make a difference as full power loads are supersonic, how much at what distance? To what effect? Unsure...

I am a Forum User
    Double feeding can be caused by too much magazine spring force increasing friction between the top two cartridges. Does it happen as frequently when the magazine is only loaded with the final two rounds and the magazine spring is mostly unloaded?

Good magazine design positively blocks forward movement of the position two cartridge until it is elevated into the feed position. This also prevents feed binds caused by recoil repositioning the position two cartridge. If you are experiencing a recoil induced bind, the rifle will cycle cartridges properly except when it is fired.

I am a Forum User
    Just from various reading, 44 mag can be loaded to pretty lethal subsonic combo that will put a hurt to a whitetail inside of 100yds. So, definitely not an upgrade in ballistics but maybe a fun experiment if someone was so inclined. 220gr 300blk at 1060fps does not equal 400gr 44mag at 1060fps.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Double feeding can be caused by too much magazine spring force increasing friction between the top two cartridges. Does it happen as frequently when the magazine is only loaded with the final two rounds and the magazine spring is mostly unloaded?

Good magazine design positively blocks forward movement of the position two cartridge until it is elevated into the feed position. This also prevents feed binds caused by recoil repositioning the position two cartridge. If you are experiencing a recoil induced bind, the rifle will cycle cartridges properly except when it is fired.
    I think it is the mag design. There is a 1/2" gap between the front of the cartridges and the front of the mag. There is nothing to keep the rounds from sliding forward in the mag, except weak upward spring pressure on the feed lips. I believe the recoil of the first shot may be forcing the gun and magazine rearward while the bullets slide slightly forward in the magazine. When I cycle the bolt, the next 2 rounds are already tipped upward at the end of the feed lip and feed together.

It does not seem to misfeed when cycled without firing. So yes to the second paragraph.

I may need to contact Ruger about a replacement mag and see if that helps. Since my hunting season is over, I wouldn't gripe if they wanted me to send it back to them, they have always been great to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast