Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Purchase Permit vs. CPL

Hello everyone. My question is what is the difference between obtaining a Purchase Permit vs. a CPL in regards to the the background check? I understand the requirements are the 8 hour class and passing a NICS for the CPL but what else is required at the local level for the CPL vs Purchase Permit. I called the Macomb County Sheriff and was told I can have a Purchase Permit in little as 10 minutes...then why does a CPL take up to 45 days?? As the NICS in done in a minute or as long as 3 days for an approval. I would gather that the CPL does another sort of more extensive background check that is not covered in obtaining a Purchase Permit? Additionally, is it mandatory to go to the sheriff department or police department in the city where you reside for a Purchase Permit and do they run the same check?

Thanks!

I am a Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by pprllc101 View Post
    My question is what is the difference between obtaining a Purchase Permit vs. a CPL in regards to the the background check?
    The LTP (purchase permit, License To Purchase, RI-010) is a local check and a NICS call, then they print it right there. The CPL is a full blown FBI background check including finger prints, and usually only takes a day or two for that portion.

I understand the requirements are the 8 hour class and passing a NICS for the CPL but what else is required at the local level for the CPL vs Purchase Permit.
    There is nothing at a local level (anymore) for a CPL. The County Clerk handles the paper work, but everything else is handled by the MSP.

I called the Macomb County Sheriff and was told I can have a Purchase Permit in little as 10 minutes...then why does a CPL take up to 45 days??
    The CPL doesn't take that long anymore, the turn around now is a few days up to a couple of weeks.

As the NICS in done in a minute or as long as 3 days for an approval. I would gather that the CPL does another sort of more extensive background check that is not covered in obtaining a Purchase Permit?
    I think I covered that above, but, yes it does.

Additionally, is it mandatory to go to the sheriff department or police department in the city where you reside for a Purchase Permit and do they run the same check?

Thanks!
    No, you do not have to use your local LEO to get an LTP. You may use any LEO office in the State that Does issue them. And you will return the LTP to the department that issued it. You can just mail it back.

Just remember, the only reason to use an LTP is if it is going to be a private transfer and the purchaser does not have a CPL. Any other transaction will use a PSR (Pistol Sales Record, RI-060) and THAT gets returned to you local LEO office. If you buy at a dealer, he does the NICS check and will fill out a PSR for you, send in a copy to your local LEO and you are done.

If you just scan the titles in this forum --> migunowners Macomb-County look at the date of the post and the number of days in the title, you will see that they are issued very promptly.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    If you just scan the titles in this forum --> migunowners Macomb-County look at the date of the post and the number of days in the title, you will see that they are issued very promptly.
    That was a great suggestion on your part to break-out the turnaround time thread into separate forums by county, thank you sir!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    So the: " The CPL is a full blown FBI background check including finger prints, and usually only takes a day or two for that portion." is the Live Scan??

So the: " The CPL is a full blown FBI background check including finger prints, and usually only takes a day or two for that portion." is the Live Scan??
    I am pretty sure that "Live Scan" is the equipment and system that gets utilized here in Michigan to record them. For the CPL it has to end up in the FBI system "AFIS", they handle that and there is nothing special you have to do.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    OK, got it! Thank you again!

I am a Forum User
    Hello everyone. My question is what is the difference between obtaining a Purchase Permit vs. a CPL in regards to the the background check? I understand the requirements are the 8 hour class and passing a NICS for the CPL but what else is required at the local level for the CPL vs Purchase Permit. I called the Macomb County Sheriff and was told I can have a Purchase Permit in little as 10 minutes...then why does a CPL take up to 45 days?? As the NICS in done in a minute or as long as 3 days for an approval. I would gather that the CPL does another sort of more extensive background check that is not covered in obtaining a Purchase Permit? Additionally, is it mandatory to go to the sheriff department or police department in the city where you reside for a Purchase Permit and do they run the same check?

Thanks!
    I might add that the CPL allows you to CARRY a pistol (not a rifle) loaded in a vehicle or on your person concealed.
    You can't do that with a LTP. and the LTP is only good for 30 days as opposed to the 5 years for the CPL.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    One addition is that the CPL is a carry license, obviously. Once you go through the check, if you keep your CPL current, you will never need another purchase permit. One and done. I've found it very handy. If you find a great deal on a handgun, and don't have a CPL, you have to leave it, go get a purchase permit, and hope they haven't sold the gun by the time you get back.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Tarrou View Post
    If you find a great deal on a handgun, and don't have a CPL, you have to leave it, go get a purchase permit, and hope they haven't sold the gun by the time you get back.
    True, assuming you are talking about a private sale.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast