Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Refinished stock too slippery

I have a birch stock that I recently refinished with Tru-Oil products. Now it is so slick it is hard to hang onto. Does anyone have a suggestion as how to fix this problem? I'm not steady enough to checker it myself.

MGO Member
    Either wet sand with 400 grit or use steel wool to knock the gloss down. Then put a coat of paste wax on it, should be good to go.

Sounds like you put too many coats of Tru-Oil on that Birch wood, it doesn't soak in well on that hardwood grain.

Try to avoid steel wool, use something like rotten stone to bring it to a satin or matte finish. I was taught that steel wool can break up and embed in the finish to later rust and leave spots.

I used a slurry of rottenstone and tru oil to apply the finish on a couple of my stocks and they turned out nice. I had a "classic satin" type finish that was not at all slippery. I also tried some 1500/2000 grit auto finishing emery cloth that seemed to work well to knock down the gloss on one.These were walnut though and not a tight grained wood like birch. Laminates also area not good candidates for a oil finish due to the epoxy filling the grain and not accepting the oil evenly . The spray poly finishes are IMHO a better product to use on these stocks.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    GT5000 rubberized grip tape strips cut and placed where you need them. Won't hurt your hard-earned finish and is easily removed with heat.

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    GT5000 rubberized grip tape strips cut and placed where you need them. Won't hurt your hard-earned finish and is easily removed with heat.
    Or Talon grip sheets. $12 for a 5"x7" sheet on Ebay.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I really don't want to put rubberized pads on the stock. I thought about having it checkered or laser etched but way too much money. Does anyone here know of a gunsmithing school that could use a donor stock for practicing checkering or carving? I'll go back to the finish and redo the top coat to make it less slick and have a matte finish if no gunsmith schools are found.

Not a bad idea, maybe stay more local if you have modest expectations, post on Craigslist list or fb wood worker group. Possibly ask highschool shop teacher if he knows of a talented kid that would take it on. 19 year old with a little talent might do it for a small small fraction of a gunsmith.

Or an art student.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.