Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

House Plans Push to Criminalize Private Gun Sales

House Plans Push to Criminalize Private Gun Sales

By AWR Hawkins
    Breitbart
    December 5th. 2018

House Democrats plan to introduce legislation criminalizing private gun sales once the new Congress is in session.

Mother Jones reports that Rep. Mike Thompson (D-CA) met with gun control groups that included the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Everytown for Gun Safety, the Center for American Progress, the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, and Gabby Giffords’ group. He asked them what they wanted, and a bill to criminalize private gun sales was on their wish list.

So Thompson will sponsor legislation requiring a background check before someone may buy a gun from his neighbor, a co-worker to get a background check before buying a gun from a co-worker, and so forth. The bill will go so far as to require a son to get a background check before a father can give him a gun as a gift.

Private gun sales are legal and have been an American tradition since 1791, the year the Second Amendment was ratified.

Ironically, a ban on private sales would not have stopped a single mass shooting witnessed to this point in the 21st century because nearly every mass shooter acquires his guns at retail via a background check. The exceptions to the rule are the mass shooters who steal their guns.

While the Democrats’ gun control push will not prevent mass shootings, it will criminalize a grandfather for passing his goose gun to his grandson without government permission. It will also criminalize a mother who gives her college-age daughter a revolver for self-defense without first getting government permission.

It will also criminalize a mother who gives her college-age daughter a revolver for self-defense without first getting government permission.
    Isn't that already actually the case in Michigan ... Daughter would have to a PP or CPL to get the pistol transferred legally?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkc451 View Post
    Isn't that already actually the case in Michigan ... Daughter would have to a PP or CPL to get the pistol transferred legally?
    Yes and you can see how effective it is when you look at the murder rate of Michigan compared to other states that don't have laws to protect the safety of citizens.

Remind me, does a purchase permit require a background check? I may be wrong, but I don't believe that to be the case.

As to the story, the last paragraph in the quote says it all in two words: government permission. I'm not a lawyer, and certainly not a politician, but doesn't this put us on a very slippery slope?

I am a Forum User
    Government permission = totalitarianism.

Unfortunately citizens have been doing this for decades and most likely don't even realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Remind me, does a purchase permit require a background check? I may be wrong, but I don't believe that to be the case.
    Yes, it does. A check through a couple of databases is done when you do an RI-010, including NICS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    As to the story, the last paragraph in the quote says it all in two words: government permission. I'm not a lawyer, and certainly not a politician, but doesn't this put us on a very slippery slope?
    That is putting it lightly.

Just think a little about how would they be able to enforce this? They don't know who owns what gun now. If you were to just ignore this and sell/trade between two people, how could they prove it happened if they weren't standing right there? To make it work they would then have to create and maintain a national firearms database. AND they would have to have record of ALL sales through FFLs in a central searchable location.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Once something like this passes both houses and is signed by a Dem prez, it will be beginning of the slippery slide to the end of all our most treasured gun rights. We will be lucky to be left with our FUD double barrel scatter guns.

I am a Forum User
    They can not show that it does ANY good now, how can they expect it to matter if they do MORE of the same thing?

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    They can not show that it does ANY good now, how can they expect it to matter if they do MORE of the same thing?
    I think we all know its not about making a difference, but of course that is the claim they make. For most of "them" it is all about chipping away, and eventually eliminating gun rights. Period. They just don't like guns and want to restrict everything about them until we are left with basically nothing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPine View Post
    I think we all know its not about making a difference, but of course that is the claim they make. For most of "them" it is all about chipping away, and eventually eliminating gun rights. Period. They just don't like guns and want to restrict everything about them until we are left with basically nothing.
    That what they call "compromise"?
    Everytime we give up just a *little* bit & they come up with another bill.