Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Commercial Ammo ok in a 1903 A1

Just picked up a competition Remington 1903 A1 chambered in 30 06

With my Garand, I have to use the Military grade ammo which is low powered when compared to Modern 30 06 hunting ammo.

Can I use Modern 30 06 hunting ammo in my 1903?

Until I figure it out, I am going to do a safety check (tie the gun to a truck tire and pull the trigger with a string from some distance away) with the military ammo and would like to know if commercial hunting ammo is ok (with a safety check).

Regards,
    Cranky

I am a Forum User
    It's no problem. The problem with Garands is the gas system and the different gas impulse of certain loads with newer, high energy powders. As long as they are standard loadings with+/- 150gr loads with 4064 or equivalents, the Garand should be okay.

MGO Member
    If the head space is good, '03 bolt guns are good to go with factory loads. Some Rock Island receivers are in a batch that supposedly had a bad heat treat. You can find the serial # info on the web. You won't find any confirmed kabooms caused by factory ammo, even with them.

Have fun with it! My first deer rifle was a sporterized Rock Island '03-A1, 50 years ago.