Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

SASS and CAS Shooters, Educate Me

-What's the difference between the Ruger Blackhawk and Vaqueros? My understanding is the frame on the Blackhawk is just a bit "beefier" made to handle the .44 cartridge. Is there any reason to choose a Blackhawk over a Vaquero if I'm getting a .357?
    -Bisley vs. "standard" Vaquero. General preferences? Again, my understanding is the grip shape is a bit different with the Bisley as is the hammer shape. I don't think I've ever seen one in stores to handle but I've handled plenty of the standard grips (as well as the bird's head, which I wasn't a fan of).
    -If I don't handload and have no intention to use this as anything other than a range toy, any reason to NOT go with the .357/.38 over a .45LC?
    -Is the Vaquero generally considered the gold standard of SA revolvers currently? Everything I've seen generally has that as the #1 on the list (other than an original Colt....). I've handled the Uberti before but just wasn't really as impressed with the fit and feel of it as the Vaquero.

I am a Forum User
    the blackhawk... only real difference is the grip shape... and you already experienced the biggest difference.

Just a caution on CASS and SASS... its for well funded idiots..

I used to run the circuit with 1858 remingtons (full charge black powder..not cartridge guns)
    The other guys were shooting less-than-children strength 38's ( really.. you could run down range and catch the bullets)
    I guess their desire was not COWBOY shooting, but rather going really fast without any skill.

Anyway, most folks were pretty pissed when I shoot ( smokey and whatnot) and that I usually
    reloaded faster than them ( I used pre-loaded spare cylinders - AKA Joes Whales)

I gave up on the (in my opinion) sissy sport. as it has been so co-opted by the gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by pkuptruck View Post
    the blackhawk... only real difference is the grip shape... and you already experienced the biggest difference.

Just a caution on CASS and SASS... its for well funded idiots..

I used to run the circuit with 1858 remingtons (full charge black powder..not cartridge guns)
    The other guys were shooting less-than-children strength 38's ( really.. you could run down range and catch the bullets)
    I guess their desire was not COWBOY shooting, but rather going really fast without any skill.

Anyway, most folks were pretty pissed when I shoot ( smokey and whatnot) and that I usually
    reloaded faster than them ( I used pre-loaded spare cylinders - AKA Joes Whales)

I gave up on the (in my opinion) sissy sport. as it has been so co-opted by the gamers.
    Not really looking to get into the sport. Just like the cowboy style firearms.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    Not really looking to get into the sport. Just like the cowboy style firearms.
    the bislety is the "true-ist" of the old style handles. Birdseye is too, but it was never really sought after.
    both roll better in the hand, .. the newer grip style is moer for target / hunting style. ( although the others work well at that
    if you shoot them long enough.

MGO Member
    (Super) Blackhawks have modern adjustable sights. Vaquero's have the more traditional style fixed sights and shape.

If you are going to hunt or shoot a lot of different loads you probably want the Blackhawk. For something to just blast away with the feel of an old western six shooter, the Vaquero is what you want.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.