Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Missouri Hi-Tek bullets

I recently ran out of lead bullets to reload for my 44 Mag. Vaqueros and my 1911. I use these guns to shoot Cowboy Action (SASS) and Wild Bunch. Since my normal bullet supplier Dardas bullets has closed I started checking out the net. I started researching Hi-Tek bullets made by Missouri Bullets. These bullets are supposed to cause less leading, less smoke, less particulates put into the air and give you a few more FPS. I ordered 2 sample packs, one for the 44 mag. 200 gr. and one for my 1911 200 gr. I loaded these rounds using the same brand of gunpowder and the same charge rate I normally use. I had to open the case flare a little bit more, as not to scrape off the Hi-Tek coating. I went to the range yesterday, what a difference. I shot some of my regular lead bullets..........lots of smoke. With the Hi-Tek hardly any smoke and the bullet impacted at the same spot as the lead bullets. Leading was never a problem with my guns so I can't really say they had less leading as I shot some regular lead from the gun. If you are a reloader check these Hi-Tek bullets out, lots of bullet maker have them.

MGO Member
    Cowboy action strives to recreate the old days, right?
    Then you should want the smoke!!
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I've been loading Hi-Tek bullets for a coupel years now, plinking ammo, mostly, and love 'em!
    I'm shooting 9mm, .38/.357, and some .44 Special/.44 Magnum. So far everything has been excellent.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

MGO Member
    I do like the smoke, when shooting outdoors. Shooting indoors you are also breathing a bunch of airborne lead...not good. I think this was the first time I ever shot my Vaqueros' inside, but shoot the 1911 indoors a lot. I would like to shoot black powder, but don't want to deal with the clean up.

I am a Forum User
    I tried them in a trial to cut cost on the copper coated bullets I usually use. They are OK in every aspect and definitely less smoke than lead bullets, but not really smoke free. They still have some smoke as compared to copper coated bullets. I compete in steel challenge and sometimes the targets are so close to each other, a little smoke cloud affects the visibility of the adjacent steel target in certain setups, people fight for a 0.2 seconds advantage, so i decided to stick with plated bullets.

other wise, they are just fine.

MGO Member
    When shooting SASS/Cowboy action or Wild Bunch, we can only shoot lead or coated bullets.

MGO Member Forum User
    I use them for 300 bo subs. Way cheaper than reloading with heavy match grade projectiles, and accuracy is really good with them.

I am a Forum User
    Hi Tek is the name of the type of polymer coating used in a polymer bullet coating process.
    My research found that Hi Tek has some form of lube in the polymer formula, so it doesn't wear the bore.
    This was a concern when I started using these bullets, about 5 or so yrs.ago.
    Hi Tek started in Australia, about 20 yrs ago..
    I've switched to shooting them almost exclusively..
    I use both Falcon bullets & Bayou Bullets.. which both use the Hi tek coating..

I've used these bullets in 380, 9mm, 38, .357, 40 S&W , 10mm, 44 spec, & Mag, & 45 acp...
    For most cals. listed, I've tried a variety of weights offered .
    I've been well pleased with the lessened smoke & clean bores from shooting these pills.

The 9mm 115 gr RN , in bright red, looKs like a mini-lipstick!
    Last edited by joepistol; 12-15-2018 at 11:00 PM.