Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Barrel dia. For 1/2x28 Threads

I was considering having two barrels threaded 1/2 x 28 for potential future suppressor use. One is a .17hmr and the other is a .204 ruger. Everything I find online says I want at least .600" diameter barrel in order to thread 1/2 x 28.

MY .17hmr barrel is 22" long and very thin. .528" at the muzzle. 4.25" below the muzzle it finally comes up to .600". Chopping, re-crowning and threading a .17hmr barrel that short is of no consequence for bullet velocity (as far as I've found). What concerns me is how thin of a profile the barrel is. With a can hanging off the end of a light thin barrel would accuracy go to poop? I'm inclined not to thread this one as it is a great looking rifle (wood stocked t-bolt).

The .204 ruger is also a sporter weight barrel. Stainless 24" long and measures .558" at the muzzle. 4" down it finally comes to .600" outside diameter.

I'm thinking I might need leave both my barrels alone but any input would be appreciated.

You only need larger than 0.5” if you want a shoulder behind the threads
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

I am a Forum User
    You still have to have material to cut and a solid surface of sufficient diameter to seat the suppressor onto.

I figured someone on here would have some experience with having a thin barrel threaded.

It can be done with 1/2". If the suppressor can use a brake type mounting system, the barrel face can stop against a step at the front of the threaded section of the brake. On barrels that have been too skinny I've made the threads longer than needed and loctited on a threaded washer "jam nut". You can also solder it on, but I'd still thread it. Make it oversized with a couple of wrench flats so you can easily tighten it up against what shoulder is there, then once the loctite is set up turn it round or leave the flats on it. I'll true the "jam nut" up either using another jam nut and just screwed onto that barrel or a short section of threaded barrel/scrap. If you don't true it up there is a possibility that it will force the suppressor slightly untrue. I don't like using the timing washers with suppressor brakes so I make a SS threaded washer and thin it until the brake times correctly.

MGO Member
    Send your barrel to Adco to get threaded and add a shoulder....https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmi...ered-shoulder/

Quote Originally Posted by coyote wacker View Post
    Send your barrel to Adco to get threaded and add a shoulder....https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmi...ered-shoulder/
    That seems very reasonable for what they have to do!
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    So it can be done.

The question now is how stable a suppressor hanging off the end of a long thin barrel. I have slow-mo "whipping muzzle" visions in my head.

See post #8: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=512281