Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

The Top 10 Reasons You Should Own An AR-15

Mark Overstreet posted an article at The Federalist which lists the top 10 reasons every American should own (and shoot) an AR-15. Well thought out, for a non firearms publication:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/12/12/...reasons-ar-15/

The Top 10 Reasons You Should Own An AR-15
    Mark Overstreet - December 12, 2018

Second to the muskets used in our revolutionary and civil wars, the AR-15 may be the most important firearm in American political history.

In a recent item for The Federalist, David Harsanyi considered the M16 rifle one of the five most innovative firearms in American firearm development history. Yet something equally significant can be said about the semi-automatic AR-15 derived from the M16. Second to the muskets used in our revolutionary and civil wars, the AR-15 may be the most important firearm in American political history.

All told, more Americans have fired more rounds from more AR-15s for personal defense, defensive firearm training, marksmanship competitions, individual practice, and hunting than from any other rifle. For that reason, the AR-15 is the primary firearm upon which Americans would rely if they had to fight for freedom today.

Here are 10 reasons to own at least one AR-15 and to become skilled in its use.

1. Being armed is your right and may be your civic duty.

2. The AR-15 is the most useful firearm with which to defend against ‘every species of criminal usurpation’ because, first and foremost, it is a rifle.

3. The AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle.

4. The AR-15 is one of the most validated rifles in history.

5. The AR-15 is the most modular rifle in history.

6. In most cases, you can fix your AR-15 yourself.

7. The AR-15 is the rifle most commonly used for defensive firearm training.

8. The AR-15 is the rifle most commonly used for marksmanship competitions.

9. If you are skilled with your AR-15, you can help prepare young Americans for military service.

10. The more Americans who own AR-15s, the more likely the Supreme Court will consider them “in common use.”

Go to his post, at the hyperlink above, to read his compelling rationale for each of his reasons. A well thought out piece.

Anyone have other reasons? I am rather fond of the modest price and recoil of the AR-15 and its cartridge.

MGO Member
    Fun to shoot.

MGO Board of Directors

Anyone have other reasons?
    Because we can.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    An AR chambered in 223/5.56 is the most versatile do it all rifle/cartridge combo that I can think of. If I could only have one rifle I’d want an AR with an 18” barrel chambered in 223 wylde.

I am a Forum User
    Meh, I'll take my FAL any day over the AR. I do own an M4 carbine, along with 28 years of military time shooting M16a1, a2 rifles. You can apply 1,2,3 4,6, and 10 to any semi auto military arm, just my opinion. I would venture the article was written more as a defense for the AR, since it seems to be the most widely attacked rifle at the moment.

I'm more than happy with my PTR91, much more fun to shoot than a 5.56 and at least to me the major reasons for switching from the .308 to 5.56 in the military are negated in a civilian self-defense with a semi-auto-only rifle scenario.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by shuvelrider View Post
    Meh, I'll take my FAL any day over the AR. I do own an M4 carbine, along with 28 years of military time shooting M16a1, a2 rifles. You can apply 1,2,3 4,6, and 10 to any semi auto military arm, just my opinion. I would venture the article was written more as a defense for the AR, since it seems to be the most widely attacked rifle at the moment.
    I'm with you...

MGO Member
    I think the actual point of the article is that patriotic Americans who are loyal to the Constitution should own and train with semi-auto rifles regularly. Most guys that prefer Ak's or .308's of some flavor also still have an AR. So in that sense the article is correct. Most people have Ar's...they might not be your preferred rifle, but I'm sure in competition you'd use that over a heavier recoiling rifle.

The reason I think everyone should get one is because continuity of supply chain. If all my friends and neighbors have them we can share ammo/mags. With .308 there are so many variations FAL, AR10, m1a, HK91, Scar 17, etc. With the AR they are all essentially parts compatible and share mags and ammo (obviously there are a few exceptions to that). Palmetto State Armory has put more AR's in people's hands than anyone in the last 5 years I bet and they literally might have saved the integrity of the nation. You never know.

MGO Member Forum User
    But then there is always this: (related.. yet.. unrelated)
    https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/ci...r-15-deadline/

Companion Thread here:
    https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...hlight=boulder

MGO Member
    Indeed, those are all good reasons to own a AR.

I would also throw "nostalgia" in there as well, it is what I was trained on in the Marines over forty years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast