Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red dot magnifier

Recently got a vortex crossfire red dot and a romeo 5 - anyone use a magnifier with either? Any thoughts, either way? Both seem little "flared" but probably my bad eyes

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
    Recently got a vortex crossfire red dot and a romeo 5 - anyone use a magnifier with either? Any thoughts, either way? Both seem little "flared" but probably my bad eyes
    Unfortunately, if you have an astigmatism it will tend to starburst, and get worse as the brightness increases.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    Unfortunately, if you have an astigmatism it will tend to starburst, and get worse as the brightness increases.
    Is that the effect even with glasses on?

Contacts..brighter the worse it is- correct. Thought a 3x might be neat but I will have to fiddle with one somewhere

Ok, I forget my prescription I have good eyes up close, see big objects fine reading far away like a street sign gets blury, I have astigmatism. If I wear glasses while shooting, the red dot is miss shaped if I see it mis shaped ? or is that my messed up eyes, and a person with natural 20/20 sees a nice crisp perfect circle.

Most recently I looked at my dads vortex strike fire I thought the dot was mis shaped, maybe it was my eyes.
    Last edited by dirtmcgirt76239; 12-21-2018 at 10:16 AM.

I gave up on contacts about 15 years ago or more. Got a big batch of the soft ones, wore them on and off 3 months and hated it.

Banned
    I wear glasses because I think I look cool.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    Is that the effect even with glasses on?
    That is my experience. I switched to a scope instead of the new red dot/magnifier combo I bought. It's not bad close up, but at longer distances the scope is better for me.
    Washtenaw Sportsman's Club member
    NRA Certified RSO (Thanks MGO)
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by hendo View Post
    That is my experience. I switched to a scope instead of the new red dot/magnifier combo I bought. It's not bad close up, but at longer distances the scope is better for me.
    Im getting new glasses next week, Ill see if anything changes.

Reading some stuff on vortexs FAQ page, it seems many people have astigmatism and probably do not know it, still think there perfect vision test from HS counts, o they have astigmatism and do not know the effect on the shape of a red dot.

Sounds like lots of people send their red dot back, then get a new one with the same perceived problem, and it turns out its their eyes.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
    I have a couple of older AR builds with a red dot & magnifier. They do work but add enough extra weight to make the gun feel heavier than need be & add complexity to the sighting process. (not to mention more difficult to keep the optics covered but yet quickly useful)

Years ago when that was about the only way to get a true "0" magnification for quick close up work but still get some magnification for longer precision shots it was the go-to for older eyes.

Now, I just install a good quality (true) 1-4 or 1-6 scope with a variable brightness lit recital (or dot), & power change lever & have a better more sleek package that works.

It's not easy with some of the lower priced magnifiers but using a quick release base on the magnifier allows the darn thing to be quickly removed & tossed if it gets in the way during weak-side both eyes open need-it-gone-now usage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast