Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Magazine capacity for 'concealed carry'?

I've got a few different capacity mags for my Glock 27; 40 cal. handgun. - Is there a maximum number of rounds you're allowed to have loaded in a concealed carry handgun on you in Michigan?

Thanks to whoever knows what the law really says.

- Greg

I am a Forum User
    I'd say it's somewhere between 33-100. And I only say that because I can see being able to conceal a Glock 33 round stick mag, maybe even the 50 drum, but I think the 100 round drum would just prevent it from being concealed. Actually that's not true either. Cuz hell, just sitting in your car makes it concealed.

Anyway, no, there isn't any limit to rounds carried, at least in MI. Other states definitely have mag capacity limits, and other silly laws, so if you travel, be sure to know all the applicable laws in each area you pass through.

What I'd say most people do with a G27 is carry the standard capacity mag loaded in the pistol, then use full size mags (G22) for reloads. The idea being you have greatest concealment and still a large number of rounds on hand if needed.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-123-1102

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425f

Those are your closest legal cites. You won't find any thing that specifically says "How many rounds are allowed." Essentially because there's no law for magazine capacity. ("123.1102" alludes to not restricting pistol components though.)
    It's like looking for a law that specifically allows you to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. By default, since you're not restricted from doing it, you're allowed to do it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
    I've got a few different capacity mags for my Glock 27; 40 cal. handgun. - Is there a maximum number of rounds you're allowed to have loaded in a concealed carry handgun on you in Michigan?

- Greg
    Carry a backpack full of loaded mags if you'd like.

It may cause some back pain but you're free to carry however many rounds makes you feel safe.

I am a Forum User
    'Concept', 'Dr. Shad', 'Buddy' - thanks I looked into via 'Google'; for whatever reason, I just assumed there'd be some limit to how many rounds you could be loaded with - at least Michigan is still more liberal compared to other States!

- Have good holidays - and hell, I'll say it - "Merry Christmas"!

- Greg

One word of caution. If you have a CPL, even though most states are reciprocal with Mi., some of them do have mag restrictions.
    Best to read up on their laws before venturing beyond our border.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator esq_stu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post

- Greg
    The law is silent on magazine capacity in MI. Nothing in the law about it at all.

Generally, if it is not expressly unlawful, it is lawful. Since there is no magazine capacity limit expressly stated as unlawful, there is no limit.

BTW, I have carried a 15-round G22 mag and an extended 22-rounder in my Glock 27. Not regularly of course, but just saying.
    All the best,

--esq_stu
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home

The above comments are not intended to be and do not constitute legal advice to anyone.

Banned
    No, carry as many as you want.

MGO Member
    Do not trust google when it comes to firearms information. They are anti-gun to the max.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    Do not trust google when it comes to firearms information. They are anti-gun to the max.
    Google isn't the one posting the information, though.