Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Member

Flat vs Curved Triggers

Does anyone know of any actual scientific studies showing an improvment in accuracy or improvement in scores when switching to a flat trigger?

I've seen people argue this on social media and forums, but I've never seen any actual study.

Question two, would it be fun to do this over the holidays? Take two identical weapons, one a flat trigger one a curve, no other trigger work, and have people shoot both and see if their scoreas are any better with one over the other.

I am a Forum User
    I know all the true Facebook Operators use flat faced triggers. Those dudes are spec-ops af.
    I've got and use both. Both do *exactly* the same thing. Launch the hammer towards the firing pin.
    IMO, it's preference and cosmetics. I know of no study that shows one vs. the other.

Banned
    Nut behind the wheel comes to mind. I mean no disrespect.

MGO Member
    I don't think you are going to find two identical, barrel/weapon combos. Maybe try one weapon, with same brand drop in triggers, one curved and one straight.

I believe it would be personal preference and what type you practice with, for speed and accuracy.

Do your test, shooting over the holidays is a great way to spend time with family and friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    I know all the true Facebook Operators use flat faced triggers. Those dudes are spec-ops af.
    I've got and use both. Both do *exactly* the same thing. Launch the hammer towards the firing pin.
    IMO, it's preference and cosmetics. I know of no study that shows one vs. the other.
    For me the flat face is more comfortable, and easier for me to get a consistent finger position. I have tried curved and straight triggers in the same firearm, and tend to shoot a wee bit better with the flat faced trigger.
    But, a friend has had the opposite result. Worth trying both to see if one works better than the other, but really comes down to practice with what you run.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    different strokes for different folks

I am a Forum User
    Honestly I think it's just preference. I do like flat on precision applications, and curved for just about everything else especially if it involves rapid firing.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    For me the flat face is more comfortable, and easier for me to get a consistent finger position. I have tried curved and straight triggers in the same firearm, and tend to shoot a wee bit better with the flat faced trigger.
    But, a friend has had the opposite result. Worth trying both to see if one works better than the other, but really comes down to practice with what you run.
    I would tend to agree wit that. With gloves, the flat trigger feels 'different', so maybe there's some psych trick that makes it shoot straighter. Do I shoot better with it? Any of my F-Class buddies or PRS guys will confirm I'm a horrible shot .

I am a Forum User
    I prefer a flat trigger for a single stage trigger
    A curved for a two stage trigger .

Seems the ones who are precise bench shooters that have very light triggers like the flat .
    Think it is a matter of preference what you feel comfortable with .

I am a Forum User
    A flat trigger is a useful diagnostic tool on match pistols. It allows you to determine whether your trigger finger pad falls naturally in the vertical center of the trigger face. Constantly forcing your trigger finger out of its natural position adds stress to your grip which can't help your scores.

Soviet shooting coaches were the first to realize this affected scores in the 1960's. When the trigger finger pad naturally falls high or low, they adjust the pistol's grips until it does. The free pistol shooters usually have enough trigger adjustability to reposition the trigger face under the center of their trigger finger pads, but most other match pistols require grip adjustment.

No idea whether this is as significant on rifles where you have a much steadier hold.
    Last edited by 10x25mm; 12-20-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast