Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Luger P-08 Value

Apologies, don't have pictures, just going off what I observed at the local gun store when I handled it, what I can tell from it:

-Dated 1914, DWM
    -Overall condition is 80-85% IMO based on internals and exterior but I'm not as familiar with Luger grading
    -Bore is in decent shape, rifling looks a bit worn out but not awful
    -Most of the serial numbers are matching, couple of the serial numbers are a different set and the side plate is a third serial number
    -Non-matching mags
    -Didn't see if the grip SN matched but it looks like the original wood grips, appears as though someone carved a name or something on the right grip panel

I've always wanted a Luger but I'm more partial to a WW2 era one. I saw the price in store and thought based on the condition, damaged grip, lack of original/matching magazine, and mismatched part numbers, that the asking price was a bit high.

I am a Forum User
    WW I German P.08s are far more common than post 1935 (WW II) versions, by a factor of 10. Total production to the end of 1918 amounted to about 2 million examples of all types. This is reflected in their much lower pricing. A 1914 P.08 may or may not have a stock lug on the back of the grip. 1914 was the year the stock lugs were standardized on German P.08s. A 'Made in Germany' or 'Germany' stamp tells you the pistol was exported to the U.S. after WW I as part of German war reparations. The early post war exports were generally not refinished. Around 1920, the Germans set up refinishing operations that prepared over 1 million P.08s for export to destinations all over the world.

A mismatched, regular WW I P.08 in the condition you describe is often offered for $ 1,200 or so. Not many sell for that price, however.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    A mismatched, regular WW I P.08 in the condition you describe is often offered for $ 1,200 or so. Not many sell for that price, however.
    Holy crap! prices have gone up since I went down the Luger rabbit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    WW I German P.08s are far more common than post 1935 (WW II) versions, by a factor of 10. Total production to the end of 1918 amounted to about 2 million examples of all types. This is reflected in their much lower pricing. A 1914 P.08 may or may not have a stock lug on the back of the grip. 1914 was the year the stock lugs were standardized on German P.08s. A 'Made in Germany' or 'Germany' stamp tells you the pistol was exported to the U.S. after WW I as part of German war reparations. The early post war exports were generally not refinished. Around 1920, the Germans set up refinishing operations that prepared over 1 million P.08s for export to destinations all over the world.

Yeah, this was going for $1300 which I thought was a bit high given the mismatched parts. The "engraving" on the grip is also kind of a detractor for me.

lugers it really matters if it has import marks, nazi marks, if its all matching. Not sure how much to degrade it.

Lugers are like mausers they can be affordable to astronomical. You gotta know exactly what you are looking at, or its so cheap it wont matter.