Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

PSA PA-10 (AR-10) review

I've wanted an AR-10 for some time..I like the AR format..easy to accessorize, comfortable to shoot, easy to change mags, easy to clean, etc..
    Looked at, & wanted, a S&W M&P AR-10.. but @ $1400 (plus mount & scope), it was a little steep for me.
    (S&W's AR-10 Sport wasn't on the market @ the time)

Despite my past experience, (& based on the glowing reports by purchasers) decided to try the PSA PA-10 (AR-10).
    which was priced @ about 50% of the cost of the S&W.

Since I've now had my AR-10 for awhile, thought it was time to write a report on my experience.
    Parts were purchased in June 2018, an assembled upper: PSA Gen2 PA10 18" Midlength .308 WIN 1:10 Stainless Steel 15" M-lok Upper -with BCG and CH
    and a complete assembled lower,: PSA Gen2 PA-10 MOE EPT Lower With Overmolded Grip
    The upper fit snugly with the lower, no gaps or play between the upper & lower. I also ordered a Magpul 10 rnd mag. & a DH brand 10rnd. mag. to try.
    I installed a set of iron sights I'd removed from a S&W M&P 15-22 a few years ago, when I mounted a scope on it, so off to the range we went.

The AR-10 performed flawlessly, able to hit bullseye @ 25 yds (to sight in) then, hitting around the bullseye @ 50 yds, due to my failing eyesight.
    I learned the bolt has to be retracted (locked to rear) for the magpul mag to lock into the receiver, attempts to insert mag with bolt forward = mag falls out. (won't lock in).
    The DH brand mag, inserts, & locks in, w/o problem, regardless of bolt position.

Before my next range trip, I purchased & installed a 1 piece scope mount,a Weaver Kaspa 4-16X44 scope, a bipod mount,a brass catcher mount, & J&P trigger spring kit.
    I sighted in scope @ 25, & then 50 yds. Spring kit was an improvement on the trigger, the brass catcher works nice..no picking brass off the ground!
    Easy to put rds. in bullseye @ 50 yds.. but hadn't tried @ 100 yds yet.

Next, I decided to try an ALG/ACT trigger, to see if I could tell a difference. By this time, I'd put about 80 rds thru the rifle.
    Put about 20 more rds, trying the new trigger, it was a noticeable improvement.

A few days ago, after Christmas, we had a Dec day with mid 50 degree temps. Headed to the range with the AR-10 (& a few others) Sunny, but wind gusting @ times.

Started shooting @ 50 yds..too easy to put all shots in the bullseye, so decided to move out to 100yds. Wind started picking up, but able to see my AR-10
    put them in the bullseye @ 100,was almost as easy as it was a 50 yds.. Put 4 shots inside a 1" group, with the 5th a bit of a flyer..about .5" away from the group.
    So far, I'd done all my shooting with what I call my plinker loads..147 gr FMJ bullets, loaded to an estimated 2575 fps..(not a max load)
    I was pretty impressed with my loads accuracy & consistency, esp. considering the current weather conditions.
    More people arrived @ range & as wind was gusting, decided to call it a day.

My PSA AR-10 has been a pleasant surprise,in comparison to my PSA AR-15.
    Only incident (a minor one) was the M-LOC handguard fell off while @ the range, on the 2nd outing.
    Cleaned & degreased the screws, applied some loctite, & retightened screws.. problem solved.

Have had no misfires, chambering, or extracting issues.. rifle is pleasant & fun to shoot.
    My Springfield M1A was my favorite rifle to shoot..but haven't shot it since I started
    fine tuning my PSA AR-10. This rifle has even changed my attitude toward PSA products.
    Last edited by joepistol; 03-30-2019 at 07:32 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for posting. I've been considering these for awhile now as well, but having had mixed experiences with PSA I'd held off. You've given me the nudge to start looking/pricing again.

Glad it's working out so well for you!

I am a Forum User
    I am waiting for them to release their 12.5" .308 upper assemblies with the pistol lower

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I bought two psa ak47’s, both have been flawless and a great value at $499 & $599 with Magpul furniture ��

Another +1 for a satisfied PSA customer. I have a variety of in house made guns from them, all fantastic. The only issue I’ve ever had with them was a detent screw falling out of the gas block on one of their Marauder uppers (7.5” 5.56) at the 500 round mark. Luckily it fell off right in my hand as I was shooting it. Screwed it back in with some loc-tite and did the same with the other one still in the block.

No abnormal wear on any of the BCG’s or receivers in the AR’s or AK, have never had a malfunction in the thousands I’ve put through all of them, and all are surprisingly accurate for what they are.

Nice write up Joe! Whether we like a product or dislike it, it's good to read real experiences not based upon advertiser's dollars.

Thanks PistolJoe for the review.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Yes, thanks for the review.

I've had nothing but good luck with the PSA products that I've purchased over the last ~6 years or so (four stripped receivers, multiple LPKs, a pistol lower kit, and assembled 16" 5.56 upper). A PA10 is my next planned purchased from them (kit and stripped receiver).

I am a Forum User
    for your consideration.. when I purchased the PA-10 upper & lower assemblies, I thought of buying a kit..
    Realized I'd save NO $ assembling the lower, because I wanted a nicer but stock than the one that comes with the kit..
    and I checked, & PSA has the upper I purchased on sale for $50.00 less than I paid for mine..& mine was advertised as a "blem")

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    for your consideration.. when I purchased the PA-10 upper & lower assemblies, I thought of buying a kit..
    Realized I'd save NO $ assembling the lower, because I wanted a nicer but stock than the one that comes with the kit..
    and I checked, & PSA has the upper I purchased on sale for $50.00 less than I paid for mine..& mine was advertised as a "blem")

Yeah, their “blem” models really dont have many blemishes on them. My PSAK with a full length Zhukov and side folder was around $400 on a blem sale. I could find no blemishes anywhere except where a rivet slightly deformed the sheet metal underneath. The full length Zhukov folding stock set is nearly $250 by itself. What was bought on impulse turned out to be one of the best intermediate caliber guns I’ve ever owned.