Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Exclamation 30-06 for target shooting suggestions

I have been doing a fair amount of shooting in the last two months, 500+ rounds 308 and enjoy reloading/target shooting. I'm kicking around the idea of a 30-06, any suggestions on a model that's built for this that isn't going to break the bank. I have tons of reloading components for 30 calibers so I'm really not interested in other calibers. I normally shoot 40 to 80 rounds per session....so im thinking I need something with a good recoil pad and barrel that dissipates heat well. I've seen several 308 long range/br shooters with the huge stocks with the funny aluminum block on the fore stock and open sights......I'm not looking for anything like that, my intentions are to put a 10x scope on it and shoot paper at 200 yards.
    Last edited by 460turner; 01-01-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Grammatical error

I am a Forum User
    Why ‘06 if you already have a 308 and are setup to reload for it? Especially at only 200 yards?

I am a Forum User
    Just wanted to be able to use my plethora of reloading projectiles, I rotate now between a model 10 and a 700 tactical while shooting 308 at the range. I just figured I would jump to another caliber and gun for a day of shooting when I wanted to, I don't want to get a win mag or anything bigger than a 30-06. My local range is 200 yards and I'm just fine with that distance.

I am a Forum User
    Savage 110

Pretty damn accurate out of the box and plenty of aftermarket solutions for upgrades if wanted

I am a Forum User
    If you head to gun shows, sometimes you can get a 1903 and the one I got is a crazy good shooter.

Mine is a custom reworked job with a aftermarket trigger and target irons. love the darn thing.

Course you could always get a garand, they are awesome as well.

Regards,
    Crankster

I've seen several 308 long range/br shooters with the huge stocks with the funny aluminum block on the fore stock and open sights......I'm not looking for anything like that, my intentions are to put a 10x scope on it and shoot paper at 200 yards.
    If you don't want a rifle for competition just general plinking/paper punching at reasonable ranges you might like a 300 Blackout.

The '06 is just a 308 on steroids (I can say that, I traded off my 308s years ago for a couple 30-06s and still own them) Shooting one is pretty much the same as shooting the other, unless you want to shoot a specific firearm such as the Garand or '03 Springfield.
    The 300 will handle all 30 cal bullets from 110gr-240gr and, is plenty accurate ate yur ranges, mild recoiling and is capable of being muffled if the urge ever rises.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 460turner View Post
    Just wanted to be able to use my plethora of reloading projectiles, I rotate now between a model 10 and a 700 tactical while shooting 308 at the range. I just figured I would jump to another caliber and gun for a day of shooting when I wanted to, I don't want to get a win mag or anything bigger than a 30-06. My local range is 200 yards and I'm just fine with that distance.
    My personal recommendation is not to jump into another caliber until you really have a solid need for one. You will gain absolutely nothing punching paper at 200yd with .30-'06. What you will have is another load/rifle to test and tune for. While that sounds fun, keep in mind that this will take time that you could be spending on your .308 load and on developing your personal marksmanship skill (far more important than having the most perfectly tuned load).

If your goal is to use up the stash of reloading supplies you have, adding another caliber will probably make that take longer because instead of loading more .308, you'll be fussing with the .30-'06 load.

If you really have the itch for a new gun, I'd get a good 22LR. Yes, at 200yd. The ballistics in terms of time in flight and so forth for 22LR at 200yd are fairly similar to .308 at around 1000yd. Even expensive 22LR match ammo only costs as much as a .308 match bullet and saves the time in loading and other reloading supplies. You'll also gain practice working with drop and wind that really isn't that big a factor for .308 at such close ranges.