Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

Spikes buckwheat suppressor

I am looking to get my first suppressor, as of now it will only be used on a Walther PPQ 22. My LGS has recommended a Spikes Tactical Buckwheat. From what I have read they look like a good suppressor at a very attractive price of $235.

I was curious if anyone here owns one or has used one and what their opinions are of the suppressor.

Thanks
    Matt

The stack looks similar to my Gemtech Outback IID, regular K-baffles, 90° ports, alignment notches.
    It will probably have low First Round Pop but will also require more frequent cleaning to prevent lockup.
    My Outback can only go about 150rds before I have to break it down. The only can out of nine I regret buying really.
    Mask and Spectre can go thousands and still never have pop. They are both modified-K shape which limits crud from locking the baffles to the tube.
    I would go with a Dead Air Mask or a SpectreII over it. Own all three. See pics for the difference in the stacks.

Low maintenance and low pop are the keys to a good rimfire can IMO. Also pistol hosts usually have more FRP than rifle hosts.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by postban View Post
    Also pistol hosts usually have more FRP than rifle hosts.
    First Round Pop

I think I remember Midlandshooter wetting his cans to reduce the FRP. Is this a thing or just his thing?
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    First Round Pop

I think I remember Midlandshooter wetting his cans to reduce the FRP. Is this a thing or just his thing?
    Wetting or using ablative gel works until you combust/burn off enough of it. Also needs to be put into the muzzle end of the can. Attach/remove hassle. If you are using ablative on a standard pistol like a Glock or M&P (open top slide) you will end up sprayed with black goo (carbon mixed with wetting solution) from both the chamber and the muzzle.

I experimented with a silicone rubber material trying to stop the blast but you really can't. Unless you shoot dry cans.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Benn in the biz for 26 years.

90% of .22 cans that I sell are Dead Air Mask.

Its easy to get buyer's remorse with silencers, so go with the best. Often its not what is on the store shelf because its always sold out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    First Round Pop

It's a thing across the board for rimfire and pistol cans.

I love my Warlock2. No FRP. Not magnum or full auto rated
    Sparrow has FRP. Almost indestructible. Can easily be taken apart after 10k rounds. Little on the heavy side.
    Osprey Micro. Goofy looking. Requires mount. Can be set to short configuration. No FRP. VERY quiet. They didn't sell well, so you may be able to get one cheap. No one really liked a rimfire can that requires mounts on the hosts. I got it so that I can mount it 90 or 180 degrees off on a Marlin Model 60.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get three Dead Airs. At the time, the Sparrow was about the best available, and Dead Air hadn't really taken off when I quit buying stuff. I love my Rugged Obsidian, but I honestly can't tell a difference between it and my AAC TiRant45 in sound. And the TiRant was waaaay cheaper.

REGARDLESS of which 22 can you get. DO THE SILICONE TREATMENT BEFORE YOU SHOOT IT. You will thank me later.

Coctailer is a great guy.

MGO Member
    Thanks for all the replys. I have also been looking at the Mask as you can not search 22 suppressor without it being mentioned, being new to suppressors I was not sure what $150 difference was, appears baffle design and material are the biggest difference. But if it is worth it, I do not mind paying it. My biggest reason for looking a the buckwheat was because my dealer owns one not that she is tired of dusting one off. She thinks it great but other than a sparrow I am not sure what she has actually compared it to.

If Coctailer was closer there are a few items he has posted I would have bought, our distance is probably good for my wallet!

I wish I would have bought the Spetre II instead of my Sparrow. FRP sucks with pistol, but not an issue with rifles. The Mask was not out yet when I bought my Sparrow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by supermuns View Post
    Thanks for all the replys. I have also been looking at the Mask as you can not search 22 suppressor without it being mentioned, being new to suppressors I was not sure what $150 difference was, appears baffle design and material are the biggest difference. But if it is worth it, I do not mind paying it. My biggest reason for looking a the buckwheat was because my dealer owns one not that she is tired of dusting one off. She thinks it great but other than a sparrow I am not sure what she has actually compared it to.

If Coctailer was closer there are a few items he has posted I would have bought, our distance is probably good for my wallet!
    So make the drive. You're going to be waiting months anyway.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by midlandshooter View Post
    So make the drive. You're going to be waiting months anyway.
    I've made the drive a few times. The objective is getting your product, but the real treat is finding lunch and enjoying the park by the river. I would consider moving there if they'd have me!
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast