Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: A Dilemma...

I am a Forum User

Lightbulb A Dilemma...

So, with tax season approaching, and confirmation today that even with the shutdown, refunds will still be distributed, I find myself at a crossroads as to what to purchase firearm-related. With the new tax legislation in place, I'll be netting a larger refund. It's come down to my two major things: my SBR project, and a Luger P08. Both are pricey to manufacture/obtain, respectively.

I have my own lists of pros and cons for both firearms. Of course, these are my personal concerns and opinions, so feel free to add onto them.

SBR Pros
    - It's a modern firearm
    - Fully customizable
    - My build will still be a pistol in MI
    - Helps me gain some skills with basic AR building
    - Ammo and mags are abundant
    - It can be built piece by piece, which means I don't have to get everything all at once.

Cons
    - A bit of paperwork
    - It's heavily regulated
    - It takes time to build it
    - There are trial and error processes with it
    - It can get costly. I estimate my build to run me about $2000, stamp costs included.
    - I'll have a hard time selling it if I get in a jam.

P08 Pros
    - It's unique
    - The ammo it shoots is still being widely produced
    - They're collector items
    - It's fun to shoot (shot one with my cousins before)
    - It's already built
    - Requires less paperwork

Cons
    - I'm picky about what kind of Luger I want
    - I'm not as educated as I'd like to be in terms of conditioning and what to look out for
    - Can't shoot it too often, since parts don't come cheap
    - Some issues may be unknown or irreparable when I get the firearm or shoot it.
    - The accessories I want for it are expensive
    - It would have to be paid in full, as opposed to buying one part at a time to build it.

As of current, the SBR project outweighs the P08 in terms of pros over cons. I would do both options if I could, but my refund isn't going to be that big. I'm wondering what you all think I should do? Is there anything to look for when searching for a P08? Are there any pros or cons you'd like to add on either side? The refund won't be in until early February, so I have time to decide. Just curious as to what others think. Thanks.

If your refund is always big, why don't you adjust your withholdings, so you have your money throughout the year not the government? Using the IRS for an escrow account is dumb....
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    The democrats, bloombergs gal's, and every other anti-gun group, will now argue higher tax rates can be used as an effective gun control measure. You let the cat out of the bag, way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    If your refund is always big, why don't you adjust your withholdings, so you have your money throughout the year not the government? Using the IRS for an escrow account is dumb....
    Get out of here with that logic.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

The problem with collector pieces is you don't want to shoot them a lot, so your fun is limited
    The problem with luger type guns is that toggle link system. If it breaks (and apparently they do) then your collector-ness is probably gone because you'll be replacing with a non-original. maybe not a big issue though.

I have a .380 ERMA luger clone that has been sitting in my safe for probably almost 10 years. the toggle was busted when i got it and i've only found one place that sells the broken part - as piece of a full assembly. I guess that's why the guy was selling it so cheap.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    I highly doubt that. Besides, higher tax rates don't stop me from buying, they slow me down. The gun gets made either way, but I'm impatient. I'm like JG Wentworth commercials.

I am a Forum User
    I do see that as an issue. I was going to buy a new production toggle link system and throw that on when I go out to shoot it. I hear that people have a tendency to do so to preserve collector value a little bit more than shooting it with the factory system.