Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

"we need gun laws"

What the heck is this stupidity, and then Michigan measures from the shortest operable length? Does that mean technically a folding stock anything is a pistol if it's under 26??? Frickin stupid is all the nice words I have for this [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Yes under 26 in mi is considered a pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo9991 View Post
    What the heck is this stupidity, and then Michigan measures from the shortest operable length? Does that mean technically a folding stock anything is a pistol if it's under 26??? Frickin stupid is all the nice words I have for this
    The item listed is NOT a "Michigan Pistol". There is a long explanation on that, they still exist, but can not be transferred as such.

The method of measurement comes from a Michigan AG Opinion 6280, whereas he was trying to find a way to include as many firearm configurations into the laws in effect at that time. Michigan's laws still have a faulty definition of "pistol" so we have some that insist that rifles and carbines that are short but not Federal pistols are also pistols here. The Federal law says different. We do, in fact have a law that says that rifles and carbines below a specific OAL by Michigan measure are SBRs and that they need to be recorded in Michigan's sales data base, regardless of Federal NFA status.

AG Opinion 7253 is another good one to be aware of.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    The item listed is NOT a "Michigan Pistol". There is a long explanation on that, they still exist, but can not be transferred as such.
    Yes it is.

I purchased one a few months ago, and after measuring it and contacting the MSP, they told me that it WAS a Michigan pistol and they have problems with the CMR-30 all the time.

They even contacted the place I bought mine from (Recoil Firearms in Taylor) and instructed them that they can NOT sell them as rifles anymore, and forced them to give me an RI-60 for the firearm so I could register it.

I am a Forum User

The method of measurement comes from a Michigan AG Opinion 6280, whereas he was trying to find a way to include as many firearm configurations into the laws in effect at that time. Michigan's laws still have a faulty definition of "pistol" so we have some that insist that rifles and carbines that are short but not Federal pistols are also pistols here. The Federal law says different. We do, in fact have a law that says that rifles and carbines below a specific OAL by Michigan measure are SBRs and that they need to be recorded in Michigan's sales data base, regardless of Federal NFA status.

AG Opinion 7253 is another good one to be aware of.
    Nothing like making a simple answer complicated for the sake of complication

Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    Yes it is.
    NO, IT IS NOT

A "Michigan Pistol" is one those that were 30" or less, yet still over 26" in length and were "registered" before January 1, 2013. 28.421

Quote Originally Posted by somecrazygreek View Post
    I purchased one a few months ago, and after measuring it and contacting the MSP, they told me that it WAS a Michigan pistol and they have problems with the CMR-30 all the time.
    Deb Smith lost that position because of bad info, do you think the replacement is any smarter?
    We are only talking about nomenclature here. The CMR-30 IS a Carbine, but because of the Michigan measure issue, the transfer is required to be recorded in the sales database per 750.224b, SBR regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Nothing like making a simple answer complicated for the sake of complication
    I don't call canine feline and I won't accept "because I said so" as an answer. It is not a simple concept, because people keep using improper nomenclature and others don't know or understand the history that make sense of the choice of words.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Ahem....

"a pistol in Michigan" does not equal "Michigan Pistol".

Joe

I am a Forum User
    NO, IT IS NOT

A "Michigan Pistol" is one those that were 30" or less, yet still over 26" in length and were "registered" before January 1, 2013. 28.421

Deb Smith lost that position because of bad info, do you think the replacement is any smarter?
    We are only talking about nomenclature here. The CMR-30 IS a Carbine, but because of the Michigan measure issue, the transfer is required to be recorded in the sales database per 750.224b, SBR regulations.

I don't call canine feline and I won't accept "because I said so" as an answer. It is not a simple concept, because people keep using improper nomenclature and others don't know or understand the history that make sense of the choice of words.
    So mi definitions of both “pistol” and “sbr” are at odds with federal definitions yet you dismiss one and tout the other...why?

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    So mi definitions of both “pistol” and “sbr” are at odds with federal definitions yet you dismiss one and tout the other...why?
    I don't tout or dismiss. The Federal law sets itself up as the primary. After that they have to be read in conjunction. As in Federal regulation AND State law, where State law is not in direct conflict.

I am a Forum User
    I don't tout or dismiss. The Federal law sets itself up as the primary. After that they have to be read in conjunction. As in Federal regulation AND State law, where State law is not in direct conflict.
    Yes you do tout or dismiss read post #3 you say mi definition of a pistol is faulty and then turn around and point to mi def for sbr as relevant when it’s just as “faulty” as the pistol def

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast