Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beware S&B ammo

I am a Forum User

Beware S&B ammo

Name:  20181218_190429.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  97.4 KBBought some S&B 9mm and out of 1 box I had 5 no ignitions and a squib. The no ignitions were solid primer strikes and I have fired thousands of rounds from the same gun before and several hundred afterwards with no issue. The squib stuck in the barrel is the bigger issue. I called and emailed S&B twice with no response, very poor customer service. Here is a pic of the ammo and primer strikes. I know some will say how they have never had an issue with S&B, well up till now, neither did I.

That’s to bad, hopefully they just had a bad batch of primers.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

Were you able to punch out the squib?
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

I am a Forum User
    Those firing pin strikes look far off center, and a bit shallow. If the failures to fire were in a pistol with Browning-type, tilt barrel locking I would be looking for a headspace (or other out of battery) issue.
    Last edited by 10x25mm; 01-14-2019 at 11:19 AM.

I am a Forum User
    That's too bad. I just bought 2000 rds of S&B 9mm. I love the efficient boxes they use.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Those firing pin strikes look far off center, and a bit shallow. If the failures to fire were in a pistol with Browning-type, tilt barrel locking I would be looking for a headspace (or other out of battery) issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwarpo
    I have fired thousands of rounds from the same gun before and several hundred afterwards with no issue.
    Probably not a headspace or out of battery issue.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Primer sensitivity drops off dramatically as the firing pin strike moves outboard of center. The priming pellet is captured between the cup and the anvil. The cup will transfer the firing pin blow to the captured pellet when the firing pin strike is off anvil, but very inefficiently. It takes a much higher energy firing pin strike to detonate the pellet when the strike is far off center, and thus off anvil.

I am a Forum User
    +1

Joe

Primer sensitivity drops off dramatically as the firing pin strike moves outboard of center. The priming pellet is captured between the cup and the anvil. The cup will transfer the firing pin blow to the captured pellet when the firing pin strike is off anvil, but very inefficiently. It takes a much higher energy firing pin strike to detonate the pellet when the strike is far off center, and thus off anvil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwarpo
    I have fired thousands of rounds from the same gun before and several hundred afterwards with no issue.
    Possible answers:

1) Headspace issue fixed itself.
    2) Dirty gun cleaned itself.
    3) Inexpensive, mass produced, Czech Republic ammo had some quality control issues.

I am a Forum User
    First step: headspace gauge the cartridges which failed to fire.

If they pass: Fire them in a different, known good pistol. If they fire, you can be certain that the off center strikes were the issue. If they fail to fire, you are left with some degree of uncertainty. Off center strikes can fracture a primer pellet, preventing subsequent firing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast