Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

torquing down unknown brand rings with no paper work.

I have a set of old rings from the 90s or early 2000s.

I just ordered a new vortex torque wrench, If you had to guess, and did not know, and wanted too err on the side of caution, what would you say is the most common torque reccomendation ?

These are 1 inch rings. I know nothing else about them, got them at gun show late 90s.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I would do 15-20 in/lbs if they are similar to Leopold ring screws in size. If the scope slips add a tad more, but that should be plenty to hold most scopes if the rings are concentric.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Aluminum or steel rings?

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Aluminum or steel rings?
    aluminum

I am a Forum User
    The two most common ring clamping screw threads are 6-40 and '8-40' (usually a true 8-36). Aluminum rings usually have the larger '8-40' screws. The 6-40 screws will have a major thread diameter around 0.135 inch. The '8-40' screws will have a major diameter around 0.165 inch.

Maximum prudent dry torque for a 6-40 screw in an unknown aluminum alloy is about 5 inch pounds.

Maximum prudent dry torque for an '8-40' screw in an unknown aluminum alloy is about 10 inch pounds.

Good info 10x25.

I'll see if I can figure out which or just torque to 5 and see if it feels steady, it's only going on a 22lr.

I am a Forum User
    An '8-40' screw will be just a shade smaller than a typical .177 inch, 4.5mm airgun pellet.

Ok I'll see if I can dig up a caliper or find a pellet Tuesday. Thanks for the good info.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    I'm not a gunsmith, but I would do 15-20 in/lbs if they are similar to Leopold ring screws in size. If the scope slips add a tad more, but that should be plenty to hold most scopes if the rings are concentric.
    This estimate is spot on for ring clamping screws in Leupold steel rings:

Maximum prudent dry torque for a 6-40 screw in low carbon steel is about 10 inch pounds.

Maximum prudent dry torque for an '8-40' screw in low carbon steel is about 18 inch pounds.

MGO Member Forum User
    ttt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast