Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Springfield Armory Gripe Thread

Just picked up a Springfield EMP a couple months back and an XDM in 10mm about a month after.

When I got the EMP, the rear sight was noticeably off center (and shot as expected due to this), would not reliably feed ANY JHP I tried to run through it, and shot high (this is more personal preference, I don't really like a 6 o clock hold). The rear sight was also EXTREMELY tight, could barely get it to budge using my sight pusher or punches after some penetrating oil. I sent the gun back to Springfield shortly after detailing all of this. 3-4 weeks later, I got it back. Springfield said they tuned the extractor and recut/polished the feed ramp. They also replaced the rear sight with a *taller* (although centered) sight.

I called Springfield back and explained putting a taller rear sight would only make the shooting high problem worse. Sent the gun back again (along with my XDM since the front sight was a bit off). 3-4 weeks later, they come back. Now, the XDM was adjusted properly and included a paper target showing it was shooting center. The EMP on the other hand, received a lower (or standard perhaps?) rear sight that is once again, very noticeably off center.

My only guess is that Springfield has 2 totally different gunsmiths working on these guns and the guy working on the EMP line is drunk on the job. Seriously, are they not doing any QC on these before sending them out? I've had this gun for about 2 and half months and almost the entire time has been spent back at Springfield. This is my 5th or 6th Springfield gun and frankly, I expected more from a 1911 that runs almost $1000.

I am a Forum User
    Even though it would cost money, I'd just have a local gunsmith fix the sights.

As for the feeding, it has been my personal experience and opinion that any 1911 platform needs a few hundred rounds to break in simply due to their design. Polymer guns just don't seem to need this, unless it's a Sig...ha ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Even though it would cost money, I'd just have a local gunsmith fix the sights.

As for the feeding, it has been my personal experience and opinion that any 1911 platform needs a few hundred rounds to break in simply due to their design. Polymer guns just don't seem to need this, unless it's a Sig...ha ha ha.
    The feeding issue didn't bother me as much, it's been the constant failure just to align a simple pair of sights.

Quote Originally Posted by castrotikon View Post
    The feeding issue didn't bother me as much, it's been the constant failure just to align a simple pair of sights.
    I have no way to prove this, never worked there or any place like a gun shop or gun smith, I suspect the same guy is working on it, he still does not care and might be pissed now.

Now he is flexing his muscle on you.

I agree, how can they not fix this, and I am a SA fan.

No one has any honor anymore.

I am a Forum User
    Try different ammo.

EMP's should come with a pre-printed return FedEx label. Needing to polish the feed ramp is so common you'd think they would have figured out that maybe test fires should be at least a couple mags worth.
    I've known at least 5 people who had them, all had an issue that required sending them back. Good news is that SA has a good customer service department; bad news is that they need the customer service for a reason.
    Hope you get it all to your liking and then once you have it up and running, put 500 or so through it. If no problems, I'd feel comfortable carrying it. If not, hey, on the plus side every EMP I've shot has been dead nuts accurate (at least for me. Never had the sight issue you're running into).
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

Banned
    You bought a tiny 1911. What did you expect?

Anything under commander length is well documented and known to have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by midlandshooter View Post
    You bought a tiny 1911. What did you expect?

Anything under commander length is well documented and known to have issues.
    I wasn't aware sub commander length 1911s were known for having sloppy gunsmiths installing sights.

Banned
    I have had 2 xds pistols and 2 1911 pistols made by springfield. All 100% reliable and awesome guns. Would buy a springfield any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Citoricx View Post
    I have had 2 xds pistols and 2 1911 pistols made by springfield. All 100% reliable and awesome guns. Would buy a springfield any day of the week.
    I've been a fan of the SA 1911 and owned 2, I agree they are great guns, maybe recent QC (and gunsmithing) is slipping?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast