Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

Where can I find a handgun class taught by an attorney in the greater metro-Detroit area?

Where can I find a handgun class taught by an attorney? MCL 28.425j Sec. 5j. (1) (iv) says the CPL class must cover, "Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force." I've taken this class at two different ranges, both times taught by active or retired police. They have a valuable perspective. However, they aren't prosecutors or judges. Since the law says this topic can be addressed by a lawyer, I'd like to hear more about actual cases and case law, with lots of examples. Anyone know where I can find such training in the greater metro-Detroit area? It doesn't have to be the full CPL course, could be a shorter course.

I think there is one that exists, I think I saw a bill board or radio commerical for it. Sorry I blanked on the name, but pretty sure it was in the last 6-7 moths. It was warm out I remember that much.

Just hang around here and ask questions.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    Just hang around here and ask questions.
    very good advice.
    read the legal forum, ask your questions AFTER you've read through.
    being online, we have the luxury of time to look up the laws and point you in the right direction. In addition, 2 lawyers who answer much stuff.
    Instead of spending $75 on a 3 hour class, learn all you want here for free, but consider a $25 1-yr membership and you can also get entered for our member event drawings!
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

MGO Member
    Its been quite a while since I took my CPL class (200, but the class I took was half gun instruction / how to carry, how to draw etc. and the other half was "legal" issues led by a lawyer, and retired police officer (former chief I believe).

First part wasn't worth a chit, but the legal half was pretty informative. I thought this was mandatory for a CPL class in Michigan, but again its been 10 years.

I am a Forum User
    Rick Ector uses one of the states top 2A attorney's
    http://www.detroitccw.com/

You're right on with wanting to take classes where they use an attorney, avoid classes where legal is taught by LEO, the crap that is spewed by some of them is deep and smelly.

Go to this website:

https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(e4...MCLBasicSearch

Copy/Paste this line into the top box, then press enter

3.111,3.112,28.420-28.440,28.511-28.527,750.222-750.240,123.1100-123.1110,691.1540-691.1545,600.2922b,600.2922c,780.951-780.974,752.860-752.869

Start carefully reading each section. Make sure you understand what each section is about so that things remain in context.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by partdeux View Post

You're right on with wanting to take classes where they use an attorney, avoid classes where legal is taught by LEO, the crap that is spewed by some of them is deep and smelly.

Highly recommended.

I am a Forum User
    I'll chime in too. I took Rick's class in 2014. He had Terry Johnson teaching the legal portion. Terry is an attorney and knows his stuff. Not only that, but he is very personable, as is Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Purebass04 View Post
    I'll chime in too. I took Rick's class in 2014. He had Terry Johnson teaching the legal portion. Terry is an attorney and knows his stuff. Not only that, but he is very personable, as is Rick.
    Terry is who partdeux was talking about. I took Rick's class (with Terry for the legal portion) also. It was excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast