Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Looking for advice to Purchase a 22LR pistol Upper

Looking for a 22LR AR pistol upper,bought a PSA 8.5"upper but accuracy was horrid and would not function,sent it back and they stated they were out of 8.5"barrels and would replace with a 7.5". The end result was the same keyholes, 0 accuracy
    They are refunding the monies
    Anyone have a source and know of a accurate reliable upper.
    Thanks

I put together a .22 lr upper years ago using a CMMG 4.5" barrel. I have no complaints with it. I actually want to build another one, but would like to see if there are any less expensive options that are already completed.

The PSA uppers must have had the wrong twist rate. Perhaps they were using the .223 twist rate.

Quote Originally Posted by 136 View Post
    Looking for a 22LR AR pistol upper,bought a PSA 8.5"upper but accuracy was horrid and would not function,sent it back and they stated they were out of 8.5"barrels and would replace with a 7.5". The end result was the same keyholes, 0 accuracy
    They are refunding the monies
    Anyone have a source and know of a accurate reliable upper.
    Thanks
    What ammo? They take some breaking as to function well. Did you oil it? I break mine in with Cci 100 round packs. After that my CMMG upper will eat anything. Also, I disassembled mine and cycled the bolt assembly about 500 times by hand to break it in.

There is a difference in bore diameter between a 5.56/223 and 22lr. The centerfire bore runs .224" while 22lr bores should be .223". The twist between these 2 is also very different, the 22lr is normally 1/16" while the .223 starts at 1/14 and goes up in rate from there. I have not seen other then a custom .224" barrel with a 1/14" in a very long time, most today are 1/9" or faster.
    If I was looking for a 22lr upper I would make sure the barrel was the proper twist and bore for the rimfire cartridge and not a chambered .224" centerfire one. Also make sure to use high speed ammo, not std velocity or "march" ammo. most of the semi autos (rifles and handguns) need the extra punch to cycle properly.
    All this said, I have seen some fair shooting AR uppers with a 22lr adapter installed.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    CMMG is what you seek. I don't own a short barrel CMMG but my 16" is a tack driver.

Everything I read says the 4.5" CMMG are as accurate as you will find in a short barrel.

FWIW, my 7.5" 1:9 twist sbr with a 22lr adapter is plenty accurate out to 25 yds or so, no key holing. I find it troubling that you and so may others are having such abysmal performance from these PSA uppers.

I am a Forum User
    Twist was 1/16,on other forums there are multiple issues with accuracy listed.

I am a Forum User
    I ended up ordering this from 22mods4all, see what happens with this one.
    The plus is that it is a 9" CMMG barrel/bolt assembly.
    $412.96 Shipped

https://22mods4all.com/collections/a...l-blowback-bcg

Last edited by 136; 01-18-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Too bad they don't have one with a 4.5" barrel.

I am a Forum User
    That's a pretty good deal!

Curious what kind of accuracy you get with the 9" barrel. I have lots of subs, so I don't care about the 4.5" for HV ammo. Looks interesting to me.

Get some Black Dog Machine mags.

ETA. I see it's not a CMMG bolt, not sure how that's gonna play out, mags resemble CMMG but are probably sourced from the same MFG.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockoff64 View Post
    That's a pretty good deal!

Curious what kind of accuracy you get with the 9" barrel. I have lots of subs, so I don't care about the 4.5" for HV ammo. Looks interesting to me.

Get some Black Dog Machine mags.

ETA. I see it's not a CMMG bolt, not sure how that's gonna play out, mags resemble CMMG but are probably sourced from the same MFG.
    I was told it is a CMMG Bolt carrier group and barrel, I will see and let you know.
    I do have 3 Blackdog and 1 CMMG 25 rd mags

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast