Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    No .22 caliber cleaning kits were issued until 1967. M14 rods would not go through the bore. Chamber brushes were nonexistent in 1965, 1966, and 1967; still in short supply in 1968. Bore solvent issued didn't remove crud within the bolt carrier bolt socket. Didn't remove copper fouling either, so bullets were tumbling from the muzzle on in high round count rifles. Lubricant issued didn't adhere to surfaces in the hot, humid climate.

GI's were oiling cartridges to assure extraction from pitted chambers, which penetrated to the propellant. Broken extractors and extractor springs were an epidemic because there were no spare parts in country. GI's did not clean their magazines, which were biological breeding factories. Were loading 21 rounds in magazines. Didn't clean their weapons regularly because everyone knows aluminum doesn't rust.

DuPont propellant (IMR 820 did not deliver the specified 3,250 fps velocity at acceptable chamber pressures from the second powder lot on. Western ball propellant (WC 844) delivered the specified velocity only in some lots. Slightly slower WC 846 reliably delivered specified velocity, but increased gas port pressure (which had never been specified by either ArmaLite or Colt). Ball powders used were all made from recycled WW II naval propellant stocks and had far too much calcium carbonate (to stem chemical deterioration which was already well underway) which seized up the bolt in the bolt carrier. Hercules flake powders blew up guns on an irregular, but frequent basis.

Whiz Kid McNamara and his military yes men screwed this rifle roll out, right from the start.
    What a disaster. No wonder so many Americans were killed in an Illegal unjust war. My father being one.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    What a disaster. No wonder so many Americans were killed in an Illegal unjust war. My father being one.
    Forgot to mention that no proper magazine pouches were issued in country until 1968, even though over a million had been made and stored stateside. GI's who found BAR pouches could carry four 20 round magazines in each pouch. Less fortunate GIs were wet forming canteen pouches to hold six 20 round magazines. Most GIs carried magazines in jungle fatigue pockets where they got dirty and wet.

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    I read that American Rifleman article too.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...vert-warriors/

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    I read that American Rifleman article too.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...vert-warriors/
    These expedient carry techniques were first noted in the reports of four joint Army Weapons Command/Colt technical assistance teams which visited all units using M16s in Vietnam from October to December 1966. They were the reason that 30% to 50% (by unit) of all M16 magazines examined by these tech teams were condemned as unserviceable due to bent and distorted magazine lips. Congressman Ichord also noted in his M16 report that the only M16 pouches which had been issued in Vietnam by June 1967 were bipod cases. M16 magazine pouches were finally airlifted to Vietnam in August 1967, when small arms cargo airlift capacity became available due to a July strike at Colt's.

Major Plaster also mentioned these techniques in SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam, his book on on the subject published some years ago. He arrived in 1968, after the pouches finally arrived.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScaryGuy View Post
    mute before clicking

mute before clicking
    A surprisingly heavy gun but very fun to shoot!

Banned Forum User
    I read a few articles on this theme, as I want to become a soldier and I try to read as much as possible about the military.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123