Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Post REVIEW: MantisX Shooting Performance System

Hopefully this is helpful to anyone looking to improve their aim. I received the MantisX Shooting Performance System to review specific to a rifle application. The first thing I discovered is that they no longer ship with the Pelican 1010 case. Now they ship in a nice foam zippered pouch. All other contents appear to be the same, with an extra thumb screw for mounting.

When mounting the device for the first time I found it difficult to separate the mounting piece to fit on the rail. This has since become easier with more use.

I mounted the MantisX on the right hand side of my rifle in the forward position to prevent any obstruction for normal handling.

The device was extremely easy to connect to my phone. Prior to the recent update the only option was Open Training. Below were my initial settings.

After my first 5 shots I noticed that 6 had registerd. I was quickly able to determine that number 5 was a falsely registered shot due to a score of only 4.7.

I was able to quickly report this as not being a shot and my final average score was 85.1.

As you swipe left there is a tutorial on how to use each screen.

A great little feature I found was the ability to add Sessions Notes. You can search by these notes at a later time.

Perhaps my favorite screen shows an animation of your shot. Blue: hold/sighting. Yellow: trigger pull. Red: Shot breaking and recoil pattern.

I increased the number of shots per dry fire session from 5 to 15 in hopes of seeing an improvement. This did not result in the change I was looking for. At the first opportunity of decent weather I took the MantisX out for live fire training.

Throughout my dry fire training sessions multiple shots were falsely reported. This was not the case during live fire training. The first 15 shots resulted in an average of 89.2. A significant improvement over my attempts at dry firing.

I took the advice of the MantisX coaching for “Shouldering the Rifle”. In early software versions this was a week point of this product. There was little coaching specific for a rifle application but this has improved drastically. I studied the photo carefully and raised the butt of the rifle up relative to my shoulder and was more aware of not pushing on the rifle when pressing the trigger.

My next session average increased to 92 with a comment of “Great shooting”.

I found that my rounds were consistently hitting the target at 6 o’clock. This was most likely the result of standing only 25 yards away.

I took aim at 12 o’clock for the next live fire session and this better centered my rounds. The software is not particularly good at calling shots. Although not the main purpose for this training system, perhaps adding a setting for distance-to-target could make this useful for shot call training.

From a data analysis perspective the software includes a Filter option. I found this to be extremely helpful when comparing my dry and live fire performance. There are a number of different filter options such as Notes, Rifle vs Pistol, specific Firearm, Hand, Live & Dry fire, and Drill.

In a recent software update two new training drill options were added, Shot Timer and MantisX Benchmark, and are self-explanatory. Software updates are pushed out every 4 to 8 weeks.

I truly enjoyed the opportunity to review the MantisX Shooting Performance System and did indeed experience a marked improvement after only a few sessions of live fire training. Though the same cannot be said for dry fire training as it were. I look forward to training with this system and I’m excited to see what new features will be released in future updates. Thanks for reading!

You can get more information at https://mantisx.com/

Last edited by aero80; 01-19-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added details on software

Thanks for the review, we got one of the early ones and it's certainly helped our pistol accuracy!
    NRA Life Member + RSO
    OCSC Member (full)
    HGC Member (associate)