Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Scope mount/rings help

1. Here’s what I’m working with. Vortex 3-9x40 1” tube. Mounting it on 18” AR upper. This is going to be a hunting set up. What are some pros and cons between rings or mounts? Any recommendations either way will be much appreciated. Thank you

You will need a tall mount made for a flattop AR for the proper cheek weld, and an offset mount helps too, to get the scope far enough forward. I like a mount VS rings, but to each his own. Larue makes good stuff, but pricey, Burris Pepr is another good one, AR Stoner makes a nice mount.
    Active airport shooter

I am a Forum User
    haven't thought much about the difference (mount vs rings) but on the several AR's I have, I used inexpensive mounts found on
    Amazon & they have worked well. Learned to clean oil from mounting screws & nuts/knobs, then apply blue lock tite to threads.
    One of the advantages on a flat top is you can mount a brass catcher to an AR, which is great for reclaiming brass.
    I had to alter the mount ( with file) so that the rail bracket mount (where brass collection bag attaches) clears the scope mount.
    Took a little effort, but having scope mounted, and brass collection bag installed makes shooting my AR's much more enjoyable.
    Individual scope rings may allow mounting the rail bracket mount w/o interference.
    Maybe it's in my mind, but a mount seems stronger (more rigid) than scope rings alone.. (?)

Banned
    For hunting, when the shot really matters, and the fact that the gun is going to be bounced around a bit, I'd recommend picking up a decent, mid to high quality system.

Rings versus Mount is your decision. Height is your decision based on your facial structure. I prefer high mounts because I want to get the quickest site acquisition that I can with my big head.

the only issue with higher mounted is that your offset at closer ranges is greater. For example at 10 yards crosshair to impact is about 2in difference vertically.

I am a Forum User
    I really like the Leupold Mark 2 IMS mount for a 1inch scope tube. They are mid-priced, reasonable weight, very solid, not overly clunky looking, horizontal split rings, and they have 1/2inch hex-nuts on the clamp. The nuts are on the right side of the mount, so they are away from your body when the rifle is slung across your chest (at least for a right hander). They only have one screw per side of the cap, but I have not had any issues with scope movement (I suppose that it also eliminates uneven screw clamp load).

If you don’t need an extended mount with your scope and posture, then I would recommend that you look at Warne Mountain Tech rings in “MSR ideal” height. They are refined looking, horizontal-split aluminum rings with 4 screws per cap and 1/2inch hex-nut clamping. I have a pair of 30mm Mountain Tech’s on my large-frame AR, and just put a pair of 40mm on my RPR (same basic height as an AR).

Banned
    Aero precision has some fantastic one-piece mounts as well and they're very affordable

I am a Forum User
    Vortex makes one too, then your mount will match your scope.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...flat-top-matte